Monday, August 7, 2017

Family

Well yesterday was my Grandpa's funeral.  Although I had definitely shed quite a few tears about him getting old, about missing him, and about him dying I really didn't think I was going to cry much at his funeral.  Maybe it's heartless to say but really he was gone, he had been gone for a while now, and really I am happy that he was out of pain and in a much better place.  So I went into the day with the idea I wouldn't cry.

But then I did.

But it wasn't about my grandpa.  It was just as we were getting ready to close the casket and say the family prayer when the door opened and in walked Chad.  (I cry just typing it.)  You see my little brother Chad lives in West Virginia and just started his 3rd year of medical school.   He had asked about the funeral to see if he could come.  It was in a group text between all my family that he asked.  My mom of course responded in her natural fashion with, "Don't feel like you need to come."  To which of course I had to respond.  I said, "What Mom means to say is, We would love to see you and it would mean a lot to her if you came.  But she completely understands if you can't come.  To which my mom responded, "That's right!"

But that was kinda the last we heard from Chad.  He said he contacted his supervisor but hadn't gotten a response.  I had text Chad telling him I would be happy to pick him up from the airport, he could stay at our house, he could use one of our cars if he'd like but never got a response.

So we thought he hadn't gotten a approval from his supervisor and knowing that airplane tickets on this short of notice across the country are typically insanely expensive we figured we wouldn't see him.

So of course you can imagine my surprise when he walked in.  I bawled.

Craig and Marcie had picked Chad up at the Las Vegas airport and they traveled to the funeral together.

So all 6 of my mom's kids made it to the funeral.

And it's things like yesterday that remind me just how precious family is.



The funeral was a beautiful tribute to my grandpa and we sure will miss him.



But Brad was in absolute heaven with so many little cousins to hang out with.  



Broc and Nick had stayed at our house the night before the funeral.  I realized there was a lot of time before the viewing and funeral at 1:30 so I decided to take them on a hike.  I don't really know many hikes in Salt Lake so I decided to ask the experts.  My Uncle Glenn and my cousin Chase.  Chase wanted to do a hike up one of the Cottonwood Canyons but his dad said we should go on the "coolest" hike in Salt Lake.  I put "coolest" in quotation marks because without going into too much detail.  The hike was totally lame but the view at the top of both Salt Lake and Utah Valley was fun.



But the bottom line is.  I am so so grateful for family.


No comments: