Saturday, May 27, 2017

Summer of 2011

I am like a puppy dog.  An eager to please, needs attention and praise puppy dog.  There is nothing that makes me happier in this world than a good, deserved "pat on the head."  It's what I live for.

(insert a whole paragraph here about the 5 love languages and how words of affirmation are what makes my world go round)

Although I came from a very very supportive, loving, wonderful family.... words of affirmation and praise were not high on our list of things to do.  
In steps the summer of 2011.  The summer I went to live in Glendora, California in a "words of affirmation" paradise.  Truly when I think of my experience of living at the Lindstrom home in the summer of 2011 that is what I think of - paradise.

The winter of 2010-2011 had been a period of rough transition and challenges.  All of which probably made the summer of 2011 even more glorious.  You have to experience the bitter to value the sweet, right?  The gloriouness of why the summer of 2011 was so wonderful all started with Lars.  Lars and I got to be best friends.  He was just coming out of an awful rough period filled with divorce and a Rexburg winter.  (Rexburg winters are enough to make the strongest of persons crumble) Lars had just graduated and was waiting to start grad school in the fall. I was finished with my masters and my 6th year of teaching.  We both had nothing to do all summer besides visit Disneyland, rock the Glendale singles ward, bike to the beach, and most important, search for the meaning of life as we healed our souls.


We had a full house that summer.  Well, let's be honest, with Nils and Raine's fun, inviting way of life, almost always their house is a full house.  But that summer was even more so.  Lars' sister Brita and her two girls were also living at the Lindstrom home because her husband was deployed to Iraq.  If there was one quality of Brita's I wish I had. it is her ability to laugh so easily.  It is such a wonderful quality.  It makes everything more wonderful and made me feel so funny!  With the love and support from Raine, Nils, Lars, and Brita I felt like a total rock star!  Like I said, we did lots of really fun things all summer but that isn't what made the summer of 2011 so wonderful.  The most impressionable moments of that summer were sitting in the house or out in the backyard after a delicious meal, just enjoying each other.


I really believe this summer changed me.  It changed my perspective on life, my purpose and drive, but most important it changed my view of myself.  The summer of 2011 in that "words of affirmation" paradise I grew to love myself.  I want to remember and look back at this major turning point in my life.  The place where things changed because oh how glad I am that they did.

"Those who feel lovable, who love, and who experience belonging simply believe they are worthy of love and belonging." - Daring Greatly by Brene Brown



No comments: