Thursday, April 20, 2017

Spring 2011

As I was driving home from school yesterday, I was basking in all the joy that Spring Forward time change brings me.  Sunshine.  Coming home and having it be daylight outside really is a big deal to me.  I can be a normal person again!  Ah…. I turned on the radio and I instantly rewound to another time.  The Dog Days by Florence and the Machine came on and I was instantly back in an early spring memory of 2011.  It was another transition period of my life.  It was a pretty rough time.  I had just lost all my friends in Provo to the dreaded “M” word. (marriage)  And I was needing to repeat the never ending cycle of making good friends just to lose them.  I had moved out of my Provo apartment but Provo is a hard place to give up.  Provo had become my whole world.  I had spent the majority of my real adult life there.  But I figured it was time to move on.  Time to try new things.  So I moved to Cottonwood Heights with a friend from my masters program at BYU.  Salt Lake was a completely different world.  A good different and a very bad different. 

I had to keep reminding myself over and over again, “Change is hard, even when it is for the best.”  Because no matter how adventurous I like to pretend to be, I hate change.  And this change was hard.

But the best part of being in Salt Lake Valley over Provo was I was unique.  I was a 28 years old, single, beautiful, smart, educated LDS girl.  And unlike in Provo where I was just like every other girl, in Salt Lake I was of value.  I went on way more dates in this period than the previous 6 years.  But of course I found the bad boy that peaked my interest.  And he threw me on a roller coaster.

But the best thing that happened about this whole situation is it got me out of my rut.  It got me out of Provo… And the living situation was far for ideal so it made me think quickly of what I’d like to do for the summer of 2011. 

So the spring of 2011.  It was rough.  Still questioning life.  Still feeling so alone.  But it brought about the best decision of my life up to that point.  What was the best decision of my life up to that point?  Glendora, California the summer of 2011.


No comments: