Monday, August 1, 2016

Experiencing.

Robin Williams gives a monolog in the movie Good Will Hunting that has always really affected me.  (Good Will Hunting is hands down my favorite movie of all time.  It's content is a little rough and the language is horrid but the message is so inspiring.  Watch it on VidAngel.)  Anyway, there is this scene that I absolutely love. Robin Williams is a therapist and is talking to this genius kid.  This kid has a photographic memory and has read everything under the sun.  So he is a self learned genius. Another favorite line of the movie is when Will says, "Someday you'll realize you wasted $150,000 on an education you could have got for a buck fifty in late charges at your local library."  But anyway back to Robin Williams monolog.  He explains to Will about the value of experiencing things.

And I have to be honest with you.  Of course like anything in life, this traveling thing has not been all roses. (Despite what my instagram pictures would suggest.)   And there have been times I have questioned why oh why did we spent our hard earned and much needed money on this trip.  And then yesterday Jason and I were standing in St. Peter's Basilica and Jason turned to me and said, "Everyone needs to experience this."  As we were surrounds by some of the most beautiful and historically significant structures in the world, we experienced something.  Something that is difficult to describe.  Something that can't be measured in money or pictures can't capture.  There is just something about experiencing that changes you.  Makes you more aware.  Makes you more whole.  Makes you become.  

And I need to document that.  

Because traveling is hard.  It is freaking stressful.  It pushes your limits.  It stretches you.  And so many times I wonder why oh why are we doing this.  

And then we are standing in the middle of one of the holiest places on earth to millions of people and it hits you.  And you are changed.

For the record.  It doesn't smell in the Sistine Chapel.  It's loud and crowded and every few minutes a securty guard comes on a microphone like Oz and says, "Sielenco, Shhhhh. Silience.  No photos." and it echos through the beautiful halls.  And part of me feels really really bad for Michelanglo.  The years he spent on his back painting a ceiling.  It would have been brutal. 

But for some reason we as humans, or at least me, and luckily I think even Jason, we need it.  We need to experience.  We need to feel.  It changes us.  

And for that I am so grateful for this opportunity.  I'm grateful for this experience to be changed.  And I hope I never go back.  


Here's the quote.  Edited of course.
So if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written. Michelangelo, you know a lot about him. Life's work, political aspirations, him and the pope, sexual orientations, the whole works, right? But I'll bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling; seen that.  I look at you... I don't see an intelligent, confident man... I see a cocky, scared kid. But you're a genius Will. No one denies that. No one could possibly understand the depths of you. But you presume to know everything about me because you saw a painting of mine, and you ripped my life apart. You're an orphan right? You think I know the first thing about how hard your life has been, how you feel, who you are, because I read Oliver Twist? Does that encapsulate you? Personally... I don't give a crap about all that, because you know what, I can't learn anything from you, I can't read in some book. Unless you want to talk about you, who you are. Then I'm fascinated. I'm in. But you don't want to do that do you sport? You're terrified of what you might say. Your move, chief.

1 comment:

goddessdivine said...

Traveling IS stressful. But worth it. Mostly. I had moments too where I was like, "I'm a little insane for doing this...." but like you said, you experience things you can't do or get anywhere else. And at the same time, all that planning and executing of a trip gives me a sense of accomplishment, which I also like.

Enjoy the last leg of your trip. Can't wait to see pics.