Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Cycle

I wonder what it'll be like when this cycle ends.  This annual cycle of schooling.  The excitement of September with newly sharpened pencils, football games, and fall colors.  The dread of January after a wonderful Christmas break.  The sadness of May with the ever looming feeling of fleeting time.

Someday I am going to quit teaching.  Yes, someday hopefully.  And I wonder what life will be like without this annual cycle.  I mean I know the seasons will always come and go..... well unless you live in San Diego.  But I wonder if my roller coaster of emotions will change.  I am sure they won't change much because of Brad.  As soon enough..... too soon, he'll be off to school to start this cycle.

At this stage in the cycle at the beginning of summer more than any other, I feel the strong push to seize the day.  Time passes so quickly.  Luckily.... this summer is definitely the summer of carpe diem for sure.

But alas it wouldn't be my blog if I didn't take a moment to relish in the happy moments of the end of this year.

This class of kids has hands down the worst kids the history of my school has ever seen.  But with the worst, I think it made the good shine brighter.  There are some absolutely fabulous kids.  Signing yearbooks is always a hard thing.  It is absolutely physically exhausting trying to write in 200+ yearbooks.  It's mentally exhausting trying to figure out what to say that'll mean something and make that student feel special.  A lot of teachers "sell out" and get a stamp.  They put some of their favorite words of wisdom and it makes their lives so much easier.  A seminary teacher this year had an awesome stamp.  It just said, "You were my favorite student.  Brother So'n'So"  I thought that was so great because really isn't that what ever kid wants to hear?

But anyway, this year I had a lot of favorites.  A lot.  One in particular.  A kid that has some of the hardest challenges I personally think a kid can be dealt.  Anyway, I put in an extra effort writing a special message in his yearbook.  The next day he came back and said, "My mom started crying when she read what you wrote in my yearbook."

Another huge success long story short, (Obviously vague for a reason) I had a run in with a parent that was terrible.  Absolutely terrible.  Something I don't think parents realize, fighting with a teacher doesn't make the teacher love your student more.... anyway my dad had a run in with a student too.  He told me he was going to do everything in his power to make that student love him.  Although I fought it at first.  I even told my dad, "That student is dead to me." (Clearly in a moment of extreme emotion.)  Anyway, I did do everything I could to make sure that student had a positive experience in my class.  Results:  The student wrote in my yearbook, "You are the best teacher I've ever had."

But alas.... it's over.  My 11th year of teaching is done.  Class of 2019.  I love you, I hate you, but most of all I wish you all the luck in the world.

So here are some pictures.

But first I have to add.  Sometimes people ask and more important I wonder, why oh why oh why do I stay at the junior high?  I hate junior high.  Ok, hate is such a strong word.  But it's kinda true.  One main reason.  I absolutely adore some of the people I work with.  Adore.  They are such good people.

 

I brought Brad to school with me on the last day of school.  It was awesome.  And I love these two to pieces.  



No comments: