Wednesday, January 13, 2016

That time I had a baby.

Warning: this post is the kind of story I used to roll my eyes at.  I never understood/understand why women like to tell every single detail of having a baby.  But I feel like I better write down this miraculous experience or else I will forget it.  So if you don't like hearing about dilation or cervixs.... this might be a post you want to just skip.

Last Wednesday was just like any other day.  I woke up, went to school, came home and did yoga waiting for Jason to get home.  And then I remembered the day before I had been to my dr.  I told him how the previous week while I was in Cedar I had been severely itchy.  Insanely itchy.  Like I was bruising myself with all the scratching.  I told him I had consulted my brothers.  First, Craig (4th year med student) because he is who I always ask first.  He said, "Hmmm... it could be cholestasis.  You should call your dr and see if he wants you to get a blood test."  But it was Christmas Eve.... and I knew that my doctors office wouldn't be open.  So I figured I'd wait and what Nate (Dermatologist) had to say.  So when Nate got to the house I asked him.  He said, "Well it's winter so you skin is super dry, and you have severely dry skin already so I think you should put some anti-itch cream on, don't take hot showers, and see how it goes."  So I started doing that.  Then Broc (Instacare Dr) came.  I asked him his thoughts.  He said, "Itching in pregnancy is pretty normal.  Take an antihistamine."  So I did.  And my itching was reduced.... or I just got used to it.  Although it was pretty maddening.  I itched like crazy.  So like I said I told my doctor at my first appointment with him in 2.5 weeks.  He said, "Let's get a blood test"  So the nurse came in to do the paper work for the blood test.  She told me I needed to be fasting.  (The WORST thing to say to a 8.5 month pregnant girl)  So I said, "Do I really need to be fasting?"  Because not only could I not eat, that meant I had to get a sub to cover my class while I went to the lab in the morning to get the test done.  So she asked the dr and he said it was fine for me to just go upstairs and get the blood work done.  I didn't think any more of it.

Until Wednesday while I was doing yoga.  I remember the lab tech telling me the test would take 24 hours and if I don't hear from the dr, I should call.  It had been 25+ hours... I hadn't heard from the dr.  I thought to myself, "No news is good news."  and went on with my yoga.  It kept bugging me until 4:45, I knew the dr office was closing soon.  So I called.  The receptionist said, "They haven't looked at your lab yet.  I'll go get the nurse to look at it and call you back."  A few minutes later the nurse called, "The results of your lab are in.  I just got off the phone with the hospital.  Back your bags and get to the hospital."  I was like, "What?"  She said, "Your blood work came back.  Your levels are at a 12.  So we need you to get your things together and get to the labor and delivery unit.  They will be expecting you."

I called Jason.  I tried to repeat what they said to me.  He just laughed.  Hysterically laughed.  I understood.  We weren't supposed to have this baby for a solid 2-3 weeks.  It was a very natural reaction to laugh.  But I didn't really understand what we were doing at the hospital.  I didn't understand what was happening.

Luckily the nurse called back, "I just spoke with the hospital.  If they admit you, you will not be going home, so be sure to bring everything you need to have a baby."

Jason finally got home and I just burst into tears when I saw him.  I was scared.  I tried to pack up things but I still didn't understand what I was packing for.  I finally stopped and found Jason and asked for a blessing.  I am so grateful to have such a wonderful husband.

So we drove down to the hospital, not before stopping at In and Out Burger of course.... my sister Sara said the worst part about child birth was being starved.  I was not going to have that happen.  Although I was a little nervous, should I not eat?  Am I about to have a C-section?  Do they need to run the blood test again?  But we decided to fault on the side of not hungry.


So we got to the hospital, we got checked in, and we sat in the waiting room and waited for about 15 minutes.  The hospital talked but neither Jason nor I understood what they were saying.  Someone talked about a stress test.  And so finally when a nurse came to get us to take us my room I said, "Are we doing a stress test on the baby right now?"  The nurse laughed, "Honey, you are having the baby right now."

This nurse, Doni, was the most wonderful nurse you could ever possibly imagine.  The most personable, fun, loving lady ever.  When she came in a bit later, Jason was in bed with me.  She said, "Now that is just too cute!  Where is your phone???" and she took multiple pictures.
 

OH I forgot, our room.  As soon as we walked in, Jason said, "This is bigger than our apartment!"  It was a huge, awesome room, with a picture perfect view of Mt. Timp temple.  It was awesome.


Sadly..... our awesome nurse Doni.... she was a triage nurse and she got called away.  I was so so so sad, because the next nurse just wasn't the same.  She put in my IV and it hurt like mad.  I tried to tell her and her response was, "Well there is a foreign object in you so you will experience a little discomfort."  It drove me nuts.  I was losing it over this stupid IV.  I kept pulling at it hoping it would help.  Finally Doni came in to check on me (because she was just awesome like that) and I told her.  She tried to fix it but still.... that stupid IV was the death of me until I could finally get it out almost 16 hours later.


So with all my luck I have a very "posterior" cervix.  What that meant was, when they tried to check me, it hurt like the dickens.  The poor nurse had to pretty much stick her whole hand upside me to check.  First time she checked I was 1 cm.  The nurse then asked me, "Is your baby's head down?"  I laughed a little.  I knew if the baby's head wasn't down there was a huge chance we'd be having a C-section.  They brought in the ultrasound and luckily baby's head was down and ready to go.  (Which was a miracle in and of itself.  Baby has been laying transverse pretty much as long as I can remember.)

The doctor on call finally came in.  I asked him what my chances were of having a C-section.  He said at that moment there was about a 30% chance.

They started by putting up inside my cervix to try and soft it.  They said that it would cause some discomfort and cramping............... that was an understatement.

The next two hours were insanely miserable.  I had baby monitors on my stomach.  Every time I tried to adjust how I was sitting in the hospital bed they would move and no longer detect the baby's heartrate.  The nurse would come in and have to adjust them.  The first 20 times she came in she was pretty nice about it.  But after 20 times I could tell she was getting annoy.  But seriously, I was going crazy!  In an uncomfortable bed, with something shoved up into my cervix, a throbbing IV, and to top it all off, the plug they put in my cervix actually put me into intense labor... So for the next two hours I was losing it.  I had no idea how was going to continue with all of this.  And here is what Jason looked like:


Finally after two hours they tried to check me.  It was so insanely painful that they tried to give me some pain killer. And then tried to check me again.  The screaming out in pain and only dilated to a 2 was enough for the nurse to suggest I could get an epidural.

Angel Michael as we called him came in around 2:00 AM to give me the epidural.  The epidural was no what I imagined at all.  No pain.  And instantly....... my life became golden.  It was like instantly the sun came out, birds started chirping, and all was right in the world again.  That epidural was the best thing that ever happened to me.

The next ten hours were pretty much a blur.  I slept, Jason and I joked, they even let me eat breakfast!  The nurse thought it would take an hour a cm to get dilated and 2 hours of pushing.  So we predicted the baby would come around 4 PM.

There was a bit of a scare because every time I would have a contraction the baby's heartrate would dip.  Sometimes it was pretty low.

Around 10:30 another angel walked in the door, my dear cousin Erica.  Luck would have it that she was in town for some appointments.  She walked in the door with lotion in hand ready to rub my feet and play with my hair.  I cried when she came in.  Not because I was in pain, but because I just love her so much and was so grateful she was able to be a part of this with me.

Just before Noon they checked me, sure enough I was at a 10.  I don't know what I expected... but the nurse said, "Okay we are going to push."  Jason was on one side with Erica and we pushed.  Sadly Erica had to leave to her appointment just as the baby's head was crowning but she came back later.  So for 20 minutes Jason and I pushed.  And then the nurse said, "STOP pushing.  We got get the dr here!"  So I relax for a few minutes, the dr came in, 3 pushes later out came the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.  The most darling little precious boy.  They laid him on my chest and Jason and I just bawled.



So much could have gone wrong in this crazy day but all that seemed to happen was one miracle after another.  We feel so lucky and so blessed to have this precious little guy in our lives.


And that was the day our lives changed forever.

  

4 comments:

Stephani said...

Such a crazy, amazing day. So glad that everything went well and to hear about all of us tender mercies!! So happy for you!! Congratulations again!

Marcie Parson said...

I laughed when I read your first paragraph because I was totally like that and then... I blogged about it. Totally get it! So happy everything went well! I can't wait to meet that baby!!

Sharla Watene said...

I've been waiting for this post! And know you will know and totally get it when you ask to hear others' birth story! Every one is so unique and its what makes that baby even more special. Love you Kris!

Aaron and Camile said...

How can a woman NOT talk about the most amazing experience of her life?! It definitely needs to be told and documented. So fun to read about the miracles, and the range of emotions involved. Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy!