Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Making a Murderer.


***Warning***
If you haven't heard of this Netflix original documentary - I am not endorsing it.  Please don't watch it unless you like to feel absolutely miserable for 10 hours straight.  I cannot tell you how many times throughout the 10 hour ordeal I thought, "Did Lars tell me about this show because he loves me or because he hates my guts and wants me to wallow in misery?"

That being said, if by chance you haven't heard about Making a Murderer yet.... long story short it's the story of an inbred Wisconsin family that it seems the police are out to get.

Now for the record, I support police.  I think they have a terribly rotten job and although I know there are crooked cops out there, I really do think we as regular citizens have no freaking clue what their job is like.

But that isn't what I want to get on my high horse about today.

What I lost sleep about last night wasn't poor Steven Avery or his nephew.  (I lost sleep about them the night before and the night before, but not last night.)  Yesterday I spent an embarrassing amount of time online reading about the case and the impact of the documentary.

And once again, it made me lose a bit of faith in America.

The documentary made me question my faith in the justice system.  But last night as I tossed and turned I was more worried about the people in America.

And here is why.

This documentary came out on Netflix in the middle of December.  Not even a whole month ago.  And already over 300,000 signatures have been collected to get Obama to pardon Steven Avery (convicted guilty of murder)

Why am I so concerned about 300,000 people that are ready to go to bat for this guy????

Because I bet 97% of the people who signed the petition have done nothing more than watched a Netflix show and they are ready to fight for him to be released.

I am not suggesting that Steven Avery is not innocent.  I am not suggesting that going to bat for him is a bad idea.  I am saying I am worried about Americans' logic and reasoning skills.

I cringe when I hear teachers tell students not to use Wikipedia as a source.  Not because I believe Wikipedia is a credible source, but because it is suggesting that such a thing does exist.  A single all consuming credible source that can be trusted.

Now maybe I am underestimating the 300,000 people who went online within the last 3 weeks and signed a petition to get Obama to pardon Steven Avery.  Maybe they did their homework.  Maybe they read through thousands of pages of court documents.  Maybe they watched all 400 hours of recorded court footage.  Maybe they all became experts on criminal justice and understand the case inside and out......

Or maybe they just watched 10 hours of Netflix and are ready to storm the Bastille....

Image lifted from Wikipedia
 


No comments: