Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Working out While Pregnant.

I'm really not one to compare myself to others....  Probably because I had to stop when all my friends were living out my dream of life getting married, having a kid, then two, then 7 and I was still stuck in Never Never Land.  I had to learn the hard way that comparison is silly.  I often think of the stupid Sunscreen song when it says, "Don't waste your time on jealousy, sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind, the race is long.  And in the end, it's only with yourself."

And then I got pregnant.

I don't know why I keep having the desire to compare myself to other pregnant women or other women when they were pregnant.  Especially when it comes to working out.  I know it's stupid.  I know the most important thing is a healthy baby.  But still....

I have kept my habit of working out 6 days a week since getting pregnant but man it's sucked.  Before I was pregnant I could easily run 10 miles any day or be at the top of any workout class I attended and then I got pregnant.  I have slowly but surely watched my muscle strength and cardio vascular strength go down the toilet.  Like after doing a slow 2 mile warm up I tried to run a mile with my PE students......... I had to stop half way through.

And then I hear some story of a woman who ran a marathon the day before she gave birth.  Or when I was belaying Jason at a rock climb the other day a guy asked why I wasn't climbing.  I said the climb was too hard now that I'm pregnant.  He said, "My daughter rock climbed until she was 8 months."  I wanted to punch him.

But the absolute worst, I attend classes at the gym with a girl that is 4 months ahead of me. 6 AM classes.... I should get a pat on the back for just getting up at 5 AM right?  I should get a medal for working out then going and teaching early morning PE, then teaching a full load of classes.... But no, I can't stop myself from comparing myself to this girl.   She is 40 weeks.  In other words she is probably having her baby as we speak.  She was at the gym up until yesterday.  And every single day she was working harder than me.  Way harder. And she looks fantastic.  Like not a single ounce of fat on her body.  Just a cute little basketball in her shirt.

But such is life, right?

I know I am silly.  I know there are so many harder problems in the world, even my world, but this working out while pregnant thing is a hard thing for me to cope with.  I guess that's my problem.  You see, there are a lot of things in life you can't control.  But for me, working out has always been my own little world of heaven.  (Or Hell based off of how hard I push that day)  But it was mine.  And like I hear over and over and over again from anyone and everyone with children.  My life isn't my own anymore.  And I guess working out is the first of the many realms of life that I will learn this.

So on a beautiful fall Saturday morning when I normally can't wait to lounge around half the morning then finally get around to running for a couple of hours or biking through the beautiful fall scenery... I can't do that anymore.  So this Saturday instead I went and hiked Timp Cave while listening to Mindy Kaling's new book, "Why Not Me."

 But my weird love for Mindy is a whole 'nother post in the making.

So I'll end with some pictures.  Two of my beautiful fall hike up American Fork Canyon to Timp Cave and for those that are curious...... what my pregnancy belly looks like at 23 weeks.






2 comments:

Elizabeth R said...

You hiked up to the cave at 23 weeks pregnant!?! You are a rock star!

I think ALL pregnant women compare themselves to other pregnant women. I bet, while you were at the gym feeling inferior to that 40 week preggo lady, there were other women, who weren't even pregnant, feeling terrible that they couldn't keep up with you.

And wait, you belayed your husband while pregnant? I've never been able to belay anyone because I'm not strong enough; people would most likely fall to their deaths if they trusted their lives to my belaying skills. Yeah, you are definitely a hard core pregnant woman. Don't doubt it!

Marcie Parson said...

YOU LOOK SO GOOD! And I love your belly pics. Even though I hated showing people mine. So I get that.