Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Parting is such sweet sorrow.

I had a dog once.  Well technically my family had a dog.  And quite frankly I hated that dog.  Anyone who knew Akela would understand why.  Her nickname was Bad Dog because in order to survive my family she had to turn into a bad dog.

But when I was home alone and scared she was there.  When I didn't want to eat my lima beans she was there.  When I would come home from date and a boy would get anywhere near me... you get the hint, she was there.

And then she died.

After 15 years of my life, she died.

I wasn't able to talk about her without crying for the next 5 years of my life.

Hopefully, this new loss won't take nearly so long, because, well.... I'll look ridiculous.  People understand the love for a dog, or a cat, or even a parakeet.  I highly doubt most people will understand when I burst into tears over a 2003 Silver Honda Accord.

I was given the car the Christmas of 2007 with only 90,000 miles on it.  Now almost 8 years later with almost 260,000 miles on it........ it's time to let it go.

8 years this car has been my most trusted companion through the thick and the thin.  Absolutely nothing has given me as much happiness during that time than this car.

People say things don't bring you happiness and although I absolutely agree the freedom this car has given me to create more opportunities for happiness is more than anything else imaginable.

I wish I could make a list of all the things we've done together.  All the trips.  All the sunsets.  All the hours on the road with just me and that car.  But it's too many to count.

I can't even try.

And so with that I have to say goodbye.

I couldn't even walk out my front door and meet it's new owner.  I couldn't face the reality that it's gone.  All I could ask Jason with tears running down my face was, "Does she seem nice?"

Whether it is the truth or not, I am so glad he said yes.



1 comment:

goddessdivine said...

Why do you think I brought both cars with me to Virginia? I can't part with either of them. I get attached. You're not alone. :-/