Wednesday, August 26, 2015

I Don't Want to Grow Up

I wonder if anyone has every tried to sue ToysRUS.  Because really, they did my generation such a disservice.  Or maybe it was Peter Pan.  Who knows.  All I do know is that there is no question that I have a fear of growing up, being an adult, a fear of responsibility.

I know, I know.  Not completely true.  I graduated from college.  I got a real grown up job.  I earned a masters degree while still working a full time grown up job.  I have a fantastic credit sore.  I vote every election cycle.  You could call me a grown up.  

But then you dig a little deeper.

As I have stated before, my life hasn't really changed that much from the time I was 17.  Well, besides now I do have a partner in crime, which thank the heavens means I no longer have to try and impress the opposite sex hoping for a free meal or eventual a commitment.  But besides that - which is huge- my life is exactly the same.  I get up, go to school, come home, and dream about summer vacation.

Examples of this lack of grown-upness.  I am wracking my brain thinking of the most expensive thing I have ever purchased - excluding my European Excursion around the Mediterranean which all and said and done cost me maybe $2500? or tuition for my masters degree. My road bike and my DSLR camera were both purchased with the help of Christmas money from my parents, I have never purchased a personal computer, my car was on contract with my dad for which I sold my soul (to help him with the art business),  all my beautiful valuable paintings have been gifts, seriously, I am wracking my brian.  I personally have never purchased a piece of furniture, appliances, or expensive electronics.  The most expensive thing I've ever purchased.... probably new tires on my car.  Not kidding.  

I am 32 years old.  Graduated from college for 10 solid years.  And I am still fighting like heck to not grow up.

But alas times have to change.  Big step in my life to lead me to being a grown up.  Within a week of my life I moved to "the big city" and left the magic bubble of Utah Valley and..... I bought a car.  My very first one.

Look who's turning into a grown up.

No comments: