Monday, May 4, 2015

Minimalist Living.

It's the craze that's sweeping the nation.  The idea of living off of as few commercial products as possible.

I have a confession.  I hate things.  Hate.  While I am not all about the hocus pocus of the "freedom" of not owning material goods......... honestly, I guess I am.  The more things I own and am in charge of the more weight I feel, the more burdened I feel, the more trapped I feel.

Great, that means I should just not have stuff.  That doesn't sound so difficult now does it?

Except I married Jason.  He loves stuff.  He loves tools.  He loves anything that he can use to make life more enjoyable, or comfortable, or fun.  Even if he doesn't use it, he wants it.  It brings him freedom.

So that leaves me in quite the pickle.  Things trap me while freeing him.  How about that for exact opposite? :)  More importantly, it leaves me exploring why I hate stuff so much.  Why is it that even the idea of how much stuff we own creates an image of a ball and chain on my leg that I'll be dragging behind me for the rest of eternity..........

I did the math.  In the last 14 years of my life, I have moved 20 times.  By the end of the summer, in Jason and I's 2.5 years of marriage.... we will have moved 8 times.

It wasn't until last night that it hit me how absolutely insane and abnormal that is.  And anyone that hears those types of number can understand why I hate stuff.  In the history of white people problems (or first world problems if you want to be PC about it)...... moving is probably up there on the list of the most awful things one could possibly encounter along with the customs lines at international security or Diet Cokes without styrofoam cups or a lime.  The. Worst.

I hate moving.

Which is ironic seeing how I have moved more than anyone I know in the last 14 years of my life.  And this year is no exception.  Which brings me to the whole point of this blogpost.  I am sure you have been sitting on the edge of your seat wondering, "Where is Kristin going to live this summer???"

But first let's review.
The Summer of 2007 or the Wanna Be Door to Door Sales Girl. (Atlanta to Annapolis)


The Summer of 2008 or the Raw Foodist that realized she HATES statistics. (BYU Masters)

The Summer of 2009 or the (500) Days of Shane.

The Summer of 2010 or The Introduction to Chi Town.

The Summer of 2011 or Lovin' in Los Angeles.

The Summer of 2012 or Cruising around the Mediterranean while my heart was in Provo.

The Summer of 2013 or Livin' off Love - the return of the Student Life Style.

The Summer of 2014 or Red Rocks, Rock Climbs, and Dixie.


Which brings us to the Summer of 2015. I know, I know, you are on the edge of your seat in anticipation of where we'll be in less than 4 weeks......

San Diego!


Jason's parents have been kind enough to offer to let us come live in paradise for 2 months this summer.  Jason will be working for this dad to really get his hands wet in the dental industry before he starts dental school in the fall.  And what will I be doing this summer????

Well of course,


But what else you might ask????

Be be continued. :)

No comments: