Wednesday, May 6, 2015

I have a dream.

It really is pretty comical to look at the cycle of my life.  Whether it's due to the axis' tilt or the seasons of the school year, the ebbs and flows of my life are pretty predictable.  About this time every school year I get pretty nostalgic.  I finally start to pull my head out of the grindstone to look at the larger perspective and scheme of things.  With the smell of summer coming I try to cram in as much wisdom as I possible can into my punk 15 year old kids.

Every year this feeling that comes, I think it's unique, different from the past, but then I read my journal or blog from previous years at this time and realize.... this feeling is exactly the same.  This end of school year feeling never changes, it's always been there.  And hopefully, as sad and reflective as it makes me, it never doesn't come.

I don't know what it is about this time of year but there is this feeling of change, a feeling of urgency, an urge to seize the day.  So, of course, this is the time of year when I start throwing out advice like they'll actually listen.  Like something I make them do or say to them will actually help them be on a better course of life.  Sadly, year after year I am starting to see that really, no matter what I do or say, their decisions really aren't going to change much.  Really I don't make that big of difference.  But hopefully, I do somehow.  Like my favorite Gandhi quote says, "You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results."

But that's not the point of this........ well expressing my feelings is always the point of this..... but the point is, all the time we tell kids, "Don't be scared to try"  or "You can do anything if you put your heart into it!"....... sometimes I feel so hypocritical saying that.  Me in my cave of a classroom.... really is this what my heart wants to do?  Am I really not scared to try anything?  To put myself out there?  To do what I want to do?

I have lots of dreams in life.  Some big, some small, some I should be working harder to accomplish while others there is nothing I can do but patiently wait.

So this summer I decided it's time to cross another dream off my bucket list.  It's time for me to actually act on my dreams.  Actually live what I preach.  So while Jason is working for his dad this summer I decided this is my perfect chance, my golden opportunity!

I am working at Disneyland!

I've gone through the general interview process and now I am just waiting to meet with a recruiter to find a job that will work for me when I get down to Southern California in 3 weeks!

I've been shocked by the responses I've received when I tell people.  My little brother called me a dork, my mom was worried about the distance (yes, I'll be commuting like 70 miles), yes I recognize I will be very overqualified and under paid, but my dad, he got it.  He was so excited for me!  He was thrilled I am going to do it.

So now I am just dreaming about a whole summer spent in the happiest place on earth!  And man I am excited!




2 comments:

Britt said...

I'm THRILLED you're doing this!!!! SO awesome!!!!

The 5 Boy Blog said...

That's totally impractical, but yet so awesome! You should absolutely do it and love it. I hope that things work out. We've had fun following a theater friend who's been working at Disneyworld as a character host. She is having the time of her life. You'll be great!
-cousin Deveri