Thursday, March 26, 2015

Work.

I often complain about the system, the parents, and especially the punk teens.  What I probably don't express enough is how much I absolutely love where I work.  I absolutely love the people I get to associate with every day, get to call colleagues, but most important consider friends.

To be honest, I hated it at first, absolutely hated it.  I would hide in my dungeon of a class room and cry a lot, I hated it so much.  I missed my old school, missed my older, mature students, but most important I missed my friends.  I've often spoken of those friends, those kindred spirits that helped start Paradigm High School with me.  I will always be forever grateful for them.  They will always be special, different, irreplaceable in my life.

But with years.... lots of time.... I have come to love the people I work with so unbelievably much.  Normally I would think about how much I enjoy walking into the teachers lounge, shooting the breeze with my comrades fighting the same battles as I am, but the other day an unusual thing happened.  I'm sure she was high as a kite on Valum, but we absolutely love her for it.  A teacher did the unspoken thing.  She brought up how much she loved us and how grateful she was for us.  She had taught at a high school for 20 years but decided to switch down to our school. I loved and still love hearing her talk about how much more difficult what we do is.  My current teaching situation is hands down one of the most difficult teaching jobs possible especially in Utah Valley. I truly believe that.

But she told all of us how without us she wouldn't have made it, without us she would have quit.  She talked about how grateful she was for us.

It's like there is an unspoken rule to not talk about it.  How much we like each other.  How much we look forward to seeing each other every day.  How fun it is for at least 23 minutes every day to associate with real live adults.

I received the most wonderful compliment the other day.  A veteran teacher, a guy that is very highly respect at the school, district, and state level, or so he tells us, for his teaching ability.... A guy that really is a master teacher.  As we were talking about problems in the system or in the school he said, "Kristin it is really too bad that more people like you aren't actually administrators.  I mean don't get me wrong, I am thrilled you are in the classroom.  The students are lucky to have you.  But you would be a fantastic administrator. And they are idiots if they don't see that."

I could die happy.

I digressed. Shocking. Point is. Every day in this battle I fight, I am so grateful for the men and women that fight with me. The friends I've made and the strong loyal relationships we have.... I will forever be grateful for that. Because very few people truly understand what this fight is like. What it takes. Who we are fighting. And I would go to bat for these people every chance I can. And I am so lucky to feel that.  To feel like I am working with people who are just as dedicated as I am in trying to improve the future of America, but most important the future of every single kid.

No comments: