Wednesday, March 11, 2015

All Hail Caprese Salads.

Caprese salad is a simple Italian salad, made of sliced fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil, seasoned with salt, and olive oil.

I don't think I even realized how much I love Caprese Salads.... until I was going through my pictures on my phone.  For our anniversary we went to Brio, a classier Italian Resturant.  I really liked it there.  But of course all I wanted was a lot of bread and a Caprese Salad.  When it came out I was shocked. Mixed greens on top of my Caprese Salad!  It was then that I decided I needed to a post on Caprese Salads.... so I started to look for all my pictures of Caprese Salad.  Oh boy did I find them.  So here we go, Caprese Salads from all over the world.  (Ok, just United States and Europe)  But still.  It's so fun to order because although it's typically pretty similar, the fun differences make it all the more fun.  I'm going to try and categorize them.  


Brio, Murray UT

We'll start with the honorable mentions that don't really fit into any of the categories.

Balboa Island, California and Florence, Italy

South Beach Miami, Florida

Rome, Italy

Best Entertainment:
Oh Disneyland.  You will always own my heart.  And when I discovered this salad in California Adventure my life will never be the same again.  Presentation is fantastic, food is delicious, but the best part?  $5.  In Disneyland that is unbeatable.  OH and the baby basil..... unreal.

  

Best Tomatoes:
  
My own home grown tomatoes and Waikiki, Hawaii.


Best Cheese:
I don't know what it is about cheese in Italy but it is different and it was absolutely amazing.  Like unreal.  Like life changing.  The tomatoes I had were honestly not that fanastic. (Probably because I was always in major tourist hubs rather than out in the country where actual tomatoes would be grown.... but still.  The cheese........... I still dream about it.

    
Sorrento, Italy and Venice Italy.
 
Taormina, Italy

Best presentation:
 
This gem was found in Dubrovink Croatia.  

Best Photographed:

 
Back when La Jolla Groves in Provo actually grew all their produce.  That combined with the natural light.  

 
A cute sidewalk restaurant on Santa Barbara's most charming main street.

Best Tasting:
These two might not look the best but I can still remember every single bite.

 
These beauties were found on Coronado Island in San Diego.  The most unique part?  They were warm.  The melted in my mouth.... The picture is so lousy because it was a super romantic dark restaurant over looking the skyline of San Diego across the water.


My all time favorite Caprese Salad ever.  The same of it all... it is from the Frankfurt Germany Airport.  But the pureed basil... I licked the bowl clean.

1 comment:

Camile said...

My mouth is watering. You've made me realize I hAven't eaten enough caprese salad in my life. I guess it's never too late to start. :)