Thursday, February 5, 2015

It's Alright I was Raised by the Bell.

Maybe I grew up in a bubble.... okay, actually it is probably already a fact, I grew up in a bubble.  A world where I never knew of divorce, where families ate dinner together every night, where moms stayed home, where dads worked hard to support the family, where kids got together at night to play night games, where the biggest fight every night was who was going to sit by the TV and change the channel during the commercial or what one show we would all watch together.  I think my life bubble of the 90's looked a lot more like the 50's than most.



I just watched this clip from Jimmy Fallon and I seriously was on the brink of tears the entire clip.





Why did I almost cry you ask?



Well first of, it's pathetic.  Yes, it's true.  I have seen every single episode of Saved By the Bell so many times that I would challenge anyone to a Saved By the Bell trivia competition and undoubtedly win.



Something I probably shouldn't be so proud of.  The hours and hours of TV I watched every day after school switching between TBS and WGN based off of what episodes I wanted to watch that day.



But as I watched that clip, saw these characters that really honestly, pathetically helped mold me into who I am today and honestly I had nothing but absolute gratitude. I am just sitting here thinking of how unique that show was compared to the garbage I see my teenagers are watching today.  I grew up in a world where there was "No hope with Dope", heck even caffeine pills were way too dangerous to use.  You shouldn't lie to your parents, you should help homeless people, you should get a summer job, you shouldn't waste money on a dance when your dad just lost his job.



Clearly I grew up in a bubble.  Probably still do.  But looking back I am so grateful that even TV producers back then thought it was a good idea to create a show that helped kids be good kids.



So for that I just need to say Thanks.

2 comments:

goddessdivine said...

Dude. If there were a Saved By the Bell Scene-it edition, I would totally challenge you. I loved this show. Yes, I have every season on DVD....including the college years.

I remember one Saturday morning in 1991, eagerly anticipating the new episode that week when the network was interrupted with the Berlin Wall coming down! I was so distraught. I thought I was going to die--I wasn't going to see my show! I laugh now because the Berlin Wall coming down is so HUGE. Yeah. That was when I could have cared less about current events, and way more about Zack Morris. Sigh.

goddessdivine said...

Btw--I'm putting this on my blog.