Friday, February 20, 2015

Feeling Alive.

It's crazy how different we are.  The things that make us feel "alive".  Monday on an extremely gorgeous run I was listening to one of my all time favorite songs, "Motorcycle Drive By" by Third Eye Blind.  In the climax of the song it says, "I've never felt so alone, and I've never been so alive."

I smiled.

I think it's a really valuable thing to discover what makes us feel alive.  And also of course to realize and recognize how different it is for everyone.  So I've been thinking about exactly what makes me feel alive.  So here's what I came up with.  I saw this somewhere and I can't believe how true I feel it to be:

1. Long hard physical activity in nature.  Typically by myself.  Surrounded by beauty.  Powerful moving music is an extra bonus.

2. Philosophical discussions.  Typically on road trips.  Often including my dad or Lars or even Jason is getting pretty good at them.  I think the road trip is important because we are stuck in one place, we are all seeking entertainment, and we can still watch the beauty outside as we drive.

3. You knew this had to be on the list.  No explanation needed...
4. A good soul searching and discovering session with a kindred spirit.  My last good sessions was with this girl.
I love her to pieces.  Our lives started so similar.  2 months and 2 days apart in the exact same hospital.  Almost the exact same family.  Dads with the exact same careers.  Heck our first periods started 6 days apart.  Yes, crazy right?  (TMI, I know sorry) Exact same dreams of the future..... But it's crazy how differently our lives have turned out.  But because of our beginnings it's always wonderful to soul search with her.  We have different perspectives but value the same things.

5. I wish this wasn't the case....
 
BUT!!!! I have to brag.  I have not touched a Diet Coke since Jan 18th.  Exactly 1 month!

6. This is the one that I probably hate to admit.  But probably the thing that makes me feel more alive than anything else is that rare moment when I am teaching and I know I am changing kids.
I have a real purpose and meaning.  I know I've written about it a million times,  but here is a post I wrote on it a few years ago I like.  But like I've previously mentioned as quickly as that feeling comes it fades away and I am left beating my head against a brick wall fighting everything there is about education.  How's that for feeling alive??? ;)




What makes Jason feel alive you ask?  Well here is an example from this weekend.
 As Jeanine said when she saw this picture, "I really wish this picture showed how cool this climb was."  It's true, it was an awesome climb.  And the thing I love most, getting to watch Jason feel alive.



No comments: