Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014: a year in review

The other day I was asked, “How was 2014?”  I responded how I am supposed to respond.  “It was good.”

But as I have been sitting here reflecting on the passed 12 months I realize a lot of things.  A lot of this year sucked.  A lot I talked about because that’s what I do.  I talk.  But a lot I have tried really hard not to talk about.

Even as I write that I hesitate.  Is that okay to say?  That a year sucked?  I quickly scanned back over in my head the previous two years.  Three years even.  Best years of my life.  So yeah, I think it’s okay to say that a year was hard.  To say that I have been pushed and challenged in ways I didn’t think possible.  Yeah, I think it’s okay to say that.

Because I like honesty.

Of course it wasn’t all bad.  Of course I have tried my darndest to be happy anyway.  But I think every once in a while it’s okay to say it sucked.  I think I’ve appreciated sympathy or empathy in ways I never had.  I think I have appreciated true friendship more than ever before.  I think I have turned my faith and trust upwards.  So really it’s a good thing.  That is the purpose.  That’s the point.

But that doesn’t mean that sometimes it doesn’t suck.


As I scanned through my posts from 2014 I remember the struggle of losing a best friend and gratefully am now learning I gained a new friend.   Over and over again through the year I learned how our perspective is often our choice.  We determine the outcomes.  I talked about it here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.  Hmmm... maybe this blog is more of a broken record than I thought???  I have lost hope in the education system in more ways than I can count.  (I try not to write too much about that because I like having a job...)  I have felt hopeless and scared.  I have felt completely ripped off.  I have seen love, felt love,  and found new hope in love. 

There is no question that this year brought value.  Lots of value in my life.  There are so many things to be grateful for.  And I think that is the value of the end of the year.  To gain a new found gratitude for the pain, heartache, laughs, and joys.  2014.  You were beautiful in ways I never imagined.  You taught me beauty in things I didn't think possible.  You have pushed me and challenged me in ways I didn't think I could.  So for that I guess I need to say thanks.

Alas, on to the pictures.  Here are the previous top ten picture posts: 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010


So here we go..... my Top Ten Photos from 2014

Number 10 aka Honorable Mentions:


 



 Number 9:


Number 8:



Number 7
 


 Number 6:


Number 5:


Number 4:


 Number 3:


 Number 2:




 And my favorite picture of 2014.......



drum roll please....












Shocking right?

2014.  Thank you.

Thank you for two amazing trips to San Francisco, a hike in Zions with Linz, some (key word is some) students that actually think I'm cool, beautiful Idaho sunsets, text message from caring family, fantastic workout instructors and friends that make 5 am not seem so bad, philosophical talks with my dad, a friend at Harvard so I can brag, gorgeous views of Yosemite, Havasupai and Big Sur, warm weather and sunshine until December, less fear of heights, phone calls from Joanie almost every day, carmel popcorn, shaved ice with cream and honey walnut shrimp, amazing co-workers and friends, living next to Provo Canyon, but most of all.... thank you for the hours and hours I got to spend with Jason.  Because he is my favorite.  Oh and Disneyland.  :)


No comments: