Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Time We Found Paradise

I had heard about this magical tropical oasis in the middle of the Grand Canyon for a few years.... but it wasn't until Craig went last year to celebrate his first year of Med school ending that I knew it really was worth all the hype.... How did I know?  When Craig said, "Kristin, it is better than Disneyland."

So somehow I convinced my adventurous cousin Erica and her geologist husband Mark to make the trek with us.  Yes, we are planning on returning soon.  And yes, I don't think it is going to be hard to convince them to go back!

Now I recognize sometimes I tend to exaggerate.  I like to live in the moment and so there are many places that are the best places ever, the most magical, the most beautiful.  But I can not think of a place on earth that could top what we saw in our short visit.  It was fun planning for and packing for such a unique trip.


So without further ado.... our trip to Havasupi.

Team Montana vs. Team St. George

For those that don't know.... Havasupi starts with an 8 mile hike down to the village called Supai.  It's a drop of 2,500 feet deep into a tributary canyon of the Grand Canyon.  If you look close in the first picture you can see the beginning of the switchbacks...



The view of where we were headed.........
and one view of the canyon along the way.

I had seen pictures of Havasupai.  I knew the water in the pools was going to be a brilliant blue.  I still don't know what I was expecting and why I was so blown away when I saw the creek for the first time.  It was unbelievable.  I had never and probably never will see anything like it.  It wasn't just the pools that were brilliant, everywhere the water was, it was that color!
The village of Supai was WAY more advanced than I was expecting.  Sure everything in the village has to either be horsed in (including the mail), hiked in, or brought in by helicopter but it was still a pretty impressive little village with two grocery type stores, a cafe, a huge nice community center and a few churches including an LDS church house.
We had heard all sorts of horror stories of wild dog packs, mean locals, and animal cruelty.... and I am happy to report besides vicious squirrels that eat through any pack in reach and a poor colt that broke a leg.... all rumors or horror stories were that.... stories.

So from the village we hiked the last "two" miles to the camp.  I used quotation marks because because this was hands down the hardest part of the trip.  I thought the only fresh water was in the village so we loaded up on 6-7 liters of water each adding 12-14 pounds to our already heavy packs.......... AND it was now almost noon making it a blistering 100 degrees with the sun beating down on us through soft sand.  But man oh man was it worth when we saw this.


So that night we set up camp and enjoyed time in Havasupai Falls for the rest of the evening.  The next day we got up and made the venture down stream.  Once again I had no idea what to expect.  So when we saw this "cave" that said enter at your own risk...... of course we went for it.
the cave led to another cave and then to a long climb down to the falls.
 
and then you saw this.......................




we spent the rest of the day swimming, hiking through the water to other falls, and just having the time of our lives.











This area the water was seeping through the rock... like Weeping Rock in Zions?  But it was so brilliant green with lush vegetation!  It was unreal.


Jason thinking of what type of flip to do.


 Every turn we made we had to laugh.  It was so unique, so beautiful, so picture perfect, EVERYWHERE!




It was unreal.  Words can't describe how incredible the experience was.  We got up early the next morning to hike out.  It was a glorious trip.

1 comment:

Camile said...

Oh my gosh! That looks amazing! Adding to my bucket list.