Sunday, May 4, 2014

You Don't Know What You Got Til it's Gone.

Yesterday morning started like every other Saturday when I'm in Orem.  Step at 7:15.  Although some of my favorite people were in class.... most of the hardcore steppers were off competing in one of the many races that were happening.  So the step teacher went with the mood of the class and kept the beat of the routine painfully slow.... I say painfully because step for me is an hour of jumping.... and an hour of jumping at a slow beat is nothing but painful.  Hard, painful impact.  So after the first hour I decided to ditch the rest of step and hit the hills...

Because recently I have discovered  how amazing trail running is.

After the enormous rocky 1 mile straight up at the beginning of this trail....  I had most wonderful time!  It was gloriously sunny, amazing views of Mt. Timp, just a slight breeze.  I felt like I was on top of the world.  (Literally running with all Utah Valley below me)  Hopping over rocks, skipping past butterflies, giggling every step of the way.  Sure it was getting hot and I didn't bring any water.  But man oh man it didn't matter.  Life was good.

I was listening to another podcast that was totally hitting the spot.  I was pondering the world, why things are the way they are, what I wish I could change, you know just the typical running wanderings... I think I even started writing a blogpost in my head.  But then about mile 6 my knee started to bug me.  Mind you, as far as running is concerned, I have never felt any type of pain in my knees.  So I thought it was a bit weird, and figured I should start on my 6 miles back to my car.....

You totally know where this is headed.....

Of course I only had passed 2 people on the whole 6 mile trail with no street access....

It was getting ridiculously hot......

Man I wish I had water....

And by mile 11 my knee felt like knives were stabbing it  from almost every angle.

And of course when did the pain hurt the worst?  Down hill.  Part of me wishes someone could have seen it.  Because at least hopefully someone could have laughed.  I was in so much pain that I didn't want to put any pressure on my knee... so I hopped down the rocky mountain on one foot.  When I got going too fast and thought I was going to crash I would do three hops on my left foot one small limp on my right.... for an entire mile down the mountain.  I really did laugh at how ridiculous I looked.... or at least that's what I am going to say the tears were from...

But it really got me thinking... as my hands were swelling from the heat.... how much I've taken my healthy body for granted.  How much I absolutely love it.  How much happiness it has brought me.  And how quickly that could all disappear.

How whatever I did to my knee in the gym that morning or on that run.... could make me unable to run for who knows how long.

But of course as I was hopping like a bunny rabbit down the mountain I was thinking about how right Cinderella (the 80's glam rock band) was when they wrote, "You don't know what you got til it's gone." I was actually really nostalgic before going on my run.  I was thinking about days before cell phones and a million social networks.    Describing to Jason how crazy my world used to me.  (He's had a cellphone since high school.)  Telling him about our summer (technically only 2 months because it sucked so bad we couldn't take it) in West Yellowstone.  Telling him about the how the guy that I would end up dating all summer had to track me down after seeing me at church by asking around the booming metropolis of West trying to find out where three new girls live.... then he just randomly showed up at our trailer one day to say hi.  I didn't know his name and he didn't know anything about me.  That just wouldn't happen anymore.  I miss that.  Then I watched this youtube video called Mister Rogers Explained to Modern Kids.   

I know my knee will heal. (Fingers crossed of course)  I know that technology is good.  (or here to stay)  But sometimes it's good to be reminded to stop and smell the roses.


No comments: