Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Wedding of the Year

*Disclaimer.  I hate to admit it.  I never thought I would ever possibly get to this point.  But sadly I have!  I am fresh worn out of weddings.  Between mine, Chad's, Craig's, and now Lars.... I'll be okay if I am not involved in another wedding for a very long time. 

But the good news is, there isn't another wedding (like heavy involved wedding) on the horizon for a very long time.  Well except Kelvin and Ernie's in August... which I can't even begin to say how excited I am about that one!

Anyway back to Lars and Caitlin.

So the wedding festivities started Friday.  Jason, Myra, Kenneth, and I flew down to the Mesa airport.  First, let's talk about Alligent.  Where have them been all our lives????  We parked on the street next to Provo airport (free), walked in, handed the airline our boarding pass, walked through security, and seriously walked to the plane... in a matter of 15 minutes?  (Oh and both our round-trip tickets combined with taxes and fees.... $175)  Sure, we could only bring a backpack.... but we were gone less than 72 hours.

So Raine picked us up and we headed to our dream rental party house.  Luckily Kelvin and Ernie took some pictures of the house because it was such a blast! 


That night was the family dinner at a Marriot Hotel near the Gilbert Temple.  In Lindstrom style Raine, Jason, and I showed up with the Café Rio food, Costco cheesecakes, Mexican sodas, flowers, and table clothes.... 15 minutes before the event was supposed to start.  The poor mother of the bride, who is exactly opposite of Raine (had the whole wedding planned 3 months ago) was sitting there almost panicking wondering where in the world we were.  But of course as always we pulled it off seamlessly (of course with my mom busy at work). But I have to admit for favorite part was when Craig and Marcie walked in.  It was so fun to be with them.  And even better news, they will be spending some time with us in St. George at the Condo this summer!  Anyway sorry... back to the wedding.

The dinner was wonderful.  Food was fantastic.  I loved that the whole evening was themed, "Lars has been lucky in everything but love until now."  Raine gave a wonderful speech with my favorite line, "Here is my advice for you: be as creative and clever as your father, cool as President JP Morgan (Lars' stake president/business partner from LA that came out to perform the ring ceremony), spiritual as Uncle Del, and love like your mother."  It so perfect for Lars.

Of course Nils pulled off another one of his fantastic videos of Caitlin and Lars growing up.  It was wonderful. The night ended with us all back at the rental house having a little party for uncle Nils' 60th birthday.  It was so much fun.

Of course I woke up earlier than everyone else.  OH I forgot to mention.  Jason and I felt like royalty!  Sure the house had 6 bedrooms, and of course was packed to the brim.  But Jason and I were lucky enough to get the best suit in the house!  The master bedroom's walk in closet!  It was HUGE and dark and quiet. It was amazing! Anyway, I woke up early and decided to go for a little run.  I really believe that Arizona is the best in the morning.  I am so surprised how much of the area we were staying at was filled with farm land.  I ran along a canal most of the way.  I listened to a podcast from All Songs Considered about songs that remind us of our family.  I love podcasts like that.



I hurried home because due to the heat the wedding ceremony started at 9:00 am.  By then it was already pretty stinkin' hot... here is a good laugh at trying to take a picture of us outside the temple at probably 8:15.  Yes, Arizona.... May through August are not your strong suit.

The Gilbert Temple was unbelievable!  It probably was the most beautiful temple I have seen since the San Diego.  The paintings inside were unreal, the gold crown molding was amazing, and as your walked in their was a grand staircase that was to die for. 




As soon as Caitlin and Lars walked out we quickly got a couple of pictures in the heat and headed straight back to the rental house to hit the pool!  The rest of the day was spent just laying around, playing in the pool, talking, and sleeping. 
I'm sure Del was telling some fantastic story.
Then we headed to downtown Phoenix to one of the only historic buildings there... The Icehouse.

First it was the ring ceremony.
What you can't see in the picture is the hundreds of Anthropologie rose candles that made the ceremony smell divine!

Then hors d'oeuvres

Then the dinner reception.
 

Unlimited Dirty Diet Cokes... I was in heaven!

Salads and Sliders...

but the main event?

Evert type of mouth watering pie or donut you could imagine.


One tired little girl.....


And of course..... the Grand Finale.

What. A. Party.

3 comments:

Zoe said...

You say you aren't going to be involved in a wedding anytime soon, you have clearly forgotten about me. ;) Kidding. Kidding.

Kris said...

Whatever. I'be been planning your wedding for years :)

goddessdivine said...

Oh! I'm doing allegiant over Labor Day for my nephew's missionary homecoming. I'll have to get more details from you. And last time I was in Phoenix the temple was still under construction--it's on my list of things to do while down there.