Saturday, April 26, 2014

Living Life to its Fullest

What does that mean?  Clearly it means something completely different to everyone.  Today I've been thinking about what that means to me.  Because I think that's what matters most.  That we have evaluated it for ourselves and are doing what is "the fullest" for us.

I was thinking about this because I felt like I was slapped in the face as I read this statement, "Hey you're done with college!  Now go watch Netflix til your eyes bleed!"  Am I guilty of this?  Is this what my life has become???

I was struck even harder today as I went to a funeral of one of Jason's friend.  Over and over and over again I kept hearing, "He lived life to the fullest"  If you know his story (you can learn more about it here, here, or here) its apparent why this was on repeat throughout the funeral.

I mean this guy really lived.  He was epic.

It was inspiring.

But then it was a downer.

Who am I?  Where am I going?  What am I doing?  If I died tomorrow what would Buzzfeed say about me and why would people want to know me?

 It made me reevaluate my life.  Because you see, how many times do I spend a night watching hour after hour of Netflix?  Am I just wasting my life away???

As I stated previously, I think pondering this topic is so important for all of us.  The questions, Why am I doing what I am doing?  What am I fighting for?  Why is the world a better place because I'm in it?

Of course each of us should and do answer these questions completely differently.  But what I got out of this inspiring funeral today is the importance of having an answer.  The motto has changed from "Go with Eric" to "Live like Eric"  Figure out your meaning, your purpose, and give your heart and soul to it.



P.S. He is on the next season of Bachelorette that starts May 19th... that's going to  be interesting.

2 comments:

goddessdivine said...

Oh my gosh I have asked myself those same questions. Hence all my crazy life decisions/plans lately. I literally sat at my dad's funeral a year ago, listening to his incredible life sketch, and thought, "What's going to be said at my funeral?"

Chelsea said...

I love this post...and it's made me think a lot. But on the flip side, I think it's very dangerous to get stuck in this mind set. We love to travel and hope to do a lot of traveling...but Matt's extremely limited vacation time coupled with 3 kids and no long-term babysitters means that right now in our life, it's just not as feasible. We do what we can, but we can't do as much as we want. I guess I'm trying to say that it's a good idea to ask yourself if you are living life to its fullest...but not get too depressed or bogged down in this idea if you can't do everything you dream to do. I just really struggle with living in the now vs. living in my future dreams and when I only live in the future, I'm not happy. But when I find joy in my everyday life that is my lot in life...then I'm obviously much happier! :) (Oh, and I didn't get to watch TV growing up so for me, getting to watch TV on a weeknight is still quite a thrill...:) Ha ha!