Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Coincidences

This weeks episode this This American Life was titled, "No Coincidence, No Story!"  Pretty much it was just an hour straight of stories of peoples coincidences.  It's crazy the type of coincidences that exist in the world but what is even more interesting to me, is how we all think our coincidences are way cooler than anyone else's.  (A portion of the episode was on that.)  I was bummed that I hadn't heard about the topic before they aired the episode so I could have shared my coincidences with them..... but alas, thank goodness I have this blog.

My favorite coincidence:

After Jason and I had been dating for a while we of course talked about our past.  How about this for coincidences....

Summer 2005: I had just finished my student teaching/graduated from college.  I was completely devastated that I have not gotten the job that I thought I wanted.  I was completely aimless.  My sister and her husband just received their first assignment with the Navy at Camp Pendleton.  They were moving into a home in Fallbrook, near the base.  My mom handed me enough money to survive for two weeks and told me to go down with my sister to see if I should try and get a job down there.  Those two Sundays that I was staying with my sister I went to the singles ward in Vista.... the same singles ward Jason was in.

Summer 2007: After finishing my first year of teaching at Paradigm High School, I was convinced that I should try and sell pest control in Atlanta, Georgia.  If you haven't heard this hysterical story before.... I spent first day sitting on a curb crying.... and clearly realized I wasn't made out to be a door-to-door salesman.  Clueless about what to do with the rest of my summer I called my sister who had just moved to Annapolis, Maryland.  She said I should come stay with her.  I spent many Sundays at the singles ward in D.C. Jason was convinced to sell alarm systems that summer in..... Atlanta, Georgia.  After 2 weeks he realized he was not a door-to-door salesman so he became a insulation technician for the company and was transferred to Northern Virginia.... he spent his Sundays going to the singles ward in D.C.

Fall 2008: I started teaching at a new school.  Everyday I was in charge of watching 200 rowdy stinky junior high boys play dodge ball.  It was insane!  I begged the principal to send someone else down to the gym to help me.  This aide came down and helped me.   Every day she would tell me about this boy.... this guy that raced dirt bikes.... that she was totally smitten by.  His name of course I had completely forgotten....

Spring 2012: My student said there was a guy that I had to meet....



2 comments:

Kennan said...

Hilarious! Haha So glad you ended up with the guy in the first stories and not the guy in the last one. ;)

goddessdivine said...

Did I ever tell you I sold pest control? Yeah, totally did it the summer before my mission. In So Cal.

How weird you and your hubby just kept missing each other.