Monday, January 13, 2014

The Power of the Mind.

Last night we got together with some of my cousins.  We heard in depth details about one of my cousins recent experience completing an Iron Man.  That is a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile ride, and 26.2 mile run.  Just typing that makes me tired.  Ridiculously tired.  I wonder how someone can even physically do that.  And what's even crazier this cousin of mine... he doesn't train like you would think he should.

As we were talking and his wife was trying to explain to him how he needs to train more.  She turned to me and said, "Kristin how many miles do you run a day?"  I stumbled over an answer but then said, "I actually feel really guilty, I only ran 5 miles yesterday."  I meant it.  I really felt guilty that I only ran 5 miles.

I was thinking about that as I was driving to work this morning.   I was thinking about the first time I ran 5 miles without stopping.  It was my sophomore year at BYU-IDAHO.  I was so excited that I woke up my dear cousin Erica (Bless her soul for not killing me) to take my picture.  And I'm so glad I did.
Yes, I have a whole scrapbook page dedicated to this event.
No, I didn't run in this outfit.  (At BYU-I you had to wear their clothes which of course was extremely annoying but looking back, I am SO glad they washed my clothes for me everyday :)  And don't be deceived.  That isn't a discman..... it's an MP3 player..... I loved that thing.  I hope I still have it somewhere.... But that smile is priceless.  I was so proud.  I had really accomplished something.

Anyway as I was driving to work I was thinking about how powerful the mind is.  How at one point in my life 5 miles seemed an almost impossible feat to conquer.... where now I run 10 or 15 miles with little significance.

Now don't get me wrong.  I am not trying to suggest completing an Iron Man would ever be easy... or that I'd ever even consider that something I aspire to.  But it's just interesting to think about what the power of the mind can accomplish.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

I know exactly what you mean. When I was marathon training I would kind of Shake my head over the 13.1 half marathon stickers since you end up running about 15 half marathons as just part of training g for the full thing. But now that Matts schedule has been so exhaustingly busy that neither of us gets out running hardly at all, 5 miles is about my max tolerance and a half marathon seems very daunting!!!! So...when are you going to do a marathon? Do you train for speed at all or just run for the exercise and head clearing? I started running just for exercise but then I really got into dropping g time and that was a fun self competitive motivation for me. Now it's just my regular training speed and I have fun knowing I'm running 5 miles faster than it used to take me to run 3. :)