Sunday, November 3, 2013

When Life Hands You Lemons

This morning as I woke up I was feeling sorry for myself. Nothing special. Just feeling sad. It wasn't soon after that my mom told me that Grandma Banks passed away last night. I had a smile as the tears ran down my face. Heaven got a special angel today but sadly the world loss just a little bit of sunshine. If there was a motto that represents Grandma Banks it would be, "When life hands you lemons... Make lemonade!" but sugar free lemonade.... (She was a huge health nut) So I guess just lemon water.

This goes perfect with my first memory of Grandma. When I was three or four she took my siblings and I to a natural hot spring water park. And sure enough she brought each of us a frozen water bottle... Frozen in Minute Maid lemon juice bottles. 

If I went through the details of Grandma's life you could see lemon after lemon after lemon. Her life was stricken with so many tragedies it's almost unbelievable. What would have been even more unbelievable is if you would have met her. You would have thought her life was a reflection of the sunshine she constantly spread. She loved life and more importantly people more than anyone I've ever met. 

As I try and think of her recipe for happiness it was really quite simple. She wanted to help people so that's what she did, maybe even to a fault. But she was so busy serving others that she didn't have time to worry about herself or what other people thought. 

She sang as loud as she could even though she rarely was on key. When I close my eyes and think of her I see her jumping on our tramp at the age of 82 singing as loud as she could. She loved life and she wanted to help everyone else love life too. 

Grandma, thank you for your love, thank you for your support, but most important, thank you for the frozen lemon water. 

2 comments:

Kennan said...

Sorry to hear that Kris!. :( She sounds like an amazing person!

goddessdivine said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma.