Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Another Shout Out for Step.

This morning as I was running into the gym at 5:30 in the morning I was thinking about how lucky I am.  I will tell you that I really 70% of the time hate running, 80% of the time hate lifting, and 100% of the time hate spin.  But on average I would say I am excited to go to Step 93% of the time.  But I have been super lucky to have Laura in my life.  It really is all because of her and the awesome step culture she's created in Utah Valley.  I hate telling people that I love Step though because when people think of Step Aerobics I am pretty sure they picture this:


 or this:




or probably my favorite, this:



I can promise you.... it might look ridiculous (if you remember when Lars videoed me doing Step in the backyard a couple of summers ago... if you need a good laugh here it is.) but it is a fantastic workout!!!!  AND I just read an article from New York Times called Pounding the Pavement by Heel or Toe and I was so excited to hear what they had to say! (I think my friend Chelsea actually did her thesis on this??? Right Chelsea?) Anyways the conclusion of the article was both heel and toe strikers have injuries but then said,

However, Mr. Kulmala said, the results also indicate that strategically altering how you land could be advisable for some runners. “People suffering from knee problems can benefit from forefoot striking,” Mr. Kulmala said. “Those who have Achilles’ tendon complaints can benefit from rearfoot striking.” Although switching form is not simple, though, as countless runners who have tried will attest.

Why does that make me so excited?  Because I am a heel striker when I run.... but am on my toes the entire hour in Step.  So since I run 3 days a week and do Step 2 days.... I am preventing the problems of just one impact.

If that isn't enough to convince you to look up the next step class at your local gym.... maybe this will.... Laura sent me this picture a few days ago.  She had announced to the whole 50 people in Step a couple morning ago how she couldn't believe how skinny I have gotten....  I of course kinda blew it off.  So later she sent me a picture from our Halloween workout party in 2008.... so 5 years ago?


Laura is the cute cave man..... but I am the third one from the left on the bottom row in green.  I was kind of shocked when I saw this.  I was almost 20 pounds heavier in this picture.... counting every calorie, working out every single day..... so what's the difference.
I'm happier, I have a lot less stress (I was in the middle of my masters), but probably most important I have discovered what my body needs.  And Step is definitely part of it.
But you can read more of my thoughts on it here.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Yes! Basically this new study is what I wish I had the resources to have done. Love this topic! Still want to get published at some point, but its kind of overwhelming to try at this point. Anyway, I taught step for 3-4 years in Milwaukee so I loved this shout out!