Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Here we go again...

This morning marks my 9th first day of school as a teacher.........

And is it weird that today I might be the most scared?

Is it because I know what I am getting myself into more than ever?

Is it because I have 41 students crammed into each class when I only have 36 desks?

Is it because I am teaching an early morning PE class that I have NO idea what I am doing?

I honestly don't know what it is.  All I know is that I laid out my new school outfit last night to make sure I get dressed... (I had a nightmare two nights ago that I had nothing to wear on the first day)

All I know is I woke up at 4:30 this morning ready to get it over with.  The day where the kids stare at me like I'm crazy.  Or worse glare daring me to teach them.  The day where I meet 293.  Yes I have 293 students.  293 impressionable kids that I have the power to help or hurt.  It's a scary thing being a teacher.  When we all look back at our childhood and think of the most helpful or damaging influences in our experiences... often both can be said for a teacher.

I guess I'm most scared because this year.  I want to be great.  I haven't said that the past few years.  I've just done what I had to to get by.  But this year I want to be different.  This year I want to be different.  I want to be the best teacher I've ever been.  And I think that's why I am scared.  I know what that takes.  And it isn't easy.

So wish me luck.  Off to change the world.


1 comment:

Camile said...

I'm sure you'll be great Kristin! I get the impression that you are already the best teacher out there - so you'll just blow everyone away this year! Good luck!