Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Perks of Being an Early Bird.

I hate it.  I've always hated it.  As a poor little girl it made me dread sleep overs.  As an adult it makes me dread social gatherings.

Why?

Because no matter what, without caffeine, my body wants to go to bed at 9 and wake up at 6.

Doesn't sound too bad right?  Until you are the poor little girl at the sleepover who falls asleep long before anyone else goes to bed and has to sit and wait for hours upon hours to someone else to wake up in the morning.  Then you hear about all the cool stuff you missed out on like toilet papering your crushes house but you weren't there to do it because you were asleep.

I feel like by being a morning person I have missed out on all the coolest things in life.  Bottom line is it's cool to be a night owl and pretty lame to be an early bird.

Even now.  It's 6:27 in the morning when I don't have a single pressing appointment for the day.  Why in the world am I awake?  Because I have no choice.

Often times I don't think people realize that I really don't have a choice in this matter.  Even if I stay up until wee hours of the morning, usually thanks to caffeine, come 6 am I am bright eyed and bushy tailed.  (Until it hits me that I only got 3 hours of sleep and my day is miserable there after)

So I felt a bit of satisfactions when I saw this article from Forbes Magazine on the benefits of being a morning person.  My favorite benefits:

- More Optimistic Various studies have shown that morning people exhibit character traits like optimism, being agreeable, satisfaction and conscientiousness. Night owls, while linked with creativity and intelligence, are more likely to exhibit traits like depression, pessimism and being neurotic.  

- Get Better Sleep Sleep experts say that if you go to bed earlier and wake up earlier, your body will be more in tune with the earth's circadian rhythms, which offers more restorative sleep.

- Healthier Many successful businesspeople get up early to exercise. Regular exercise boosts mood and fitness, provides energy on the job and helps create deeper sleep cycles.

- More Proactive Harvard biologist Christoph Randler discovered in 2008 that early risers are more proactive. They were more likely to agree with statements like "I spend time identifying long-range goals for myself" and "I feel in charge of making things happen."

-  Earn Better Grades In a 2008 Texas University study, college students who identified themselves as "morning people" earned a full point higher on their GPAs than those who were "night owls" (3.5 vs. 2.5). Good grades help students secure better career opportunities.

So sure we aren't as cool... sure we miss out on a lot of cool stuff... but us early birds... at least we have something going for us!

2 comments:

Natalie Ayama said...

I totally know what you mean! I stopped staying the night at people's houses, because being a morning person is means being a party pooper. Then when you're a young single adult, your still the party pooper because you leave the party at 9/9:30 and that's when all the cool people start coming. But I love mornings, I need 2 hours to myself before the world wakes up!

simplicityinallthings.blogspot.com

Angela said...

Yay for early birds! I can totally relate to this post...