Wednesday, June 19, 2013

She's a Tramp

It's sad.  There have been times in my life when I would read 3-4 books a week where recently if someone asked me my favorite book I would stumble over the question.  So as I was sitting in my classroom being bored out of my mind the other day I decided to pick up and read what I would claim is probably in my 3 top favorite books of all time.

Tramp for the Lord by Corrie tin Boom.

Now I first heard about this book, being the sequel of the very famous The Hiding Place, by Dr. DeMille, if you don't know who he is it doesn't matter, yes he is a self proclaimed Dr. but he has read more books than anyone I know.  Dr. DeMille told us once it was his favorite book of all time.  So of course being the curious cat that I am I went out and searched for it.

The whole book is about the journey of a 55-90 year old holocaust survivor who dedicates her life as a missionary for the Lord.

It's funny how God works.  Why I felt the sudden urge to pick up and read this book again after years of collecting dust on my shelf I have no idea, but there is no question that I needed it.

So I started reading it.  The next Sunday we got called by a bishopric member.  We were out of town.  We easily could have just ignored the message.  But instead we got up early Sunday morning so we could drive back to meet.  Before we went to meet Jason looked at me and said, "So we are going to say yes to whatever calling they want to give us right?"

What a good guy.  I knew that he was thinking exactly what I was thinking.  I've dreamed of finally leaving the singles ward and getting real callings.  Jason loves scouting and would love to do that.  I would LOVE to be in Young Womens and try and help girls make it through the most difficult defining years of their life... finally be able to talk Gospel Principles with teenagers rather than coded secular language but trying to teach the same principles.  (You should see how I teach that you shouldn't steady date in high school.  It's brilliant.)  But Jason knew exactly what I was thinking.  There was one and only one calling that I didn't want. Nursery.

You know exactly where this story is headed.  I knew exactly where this story was headed.  What I didn't know was how I would feel like I got punched in the stomach when the word left my bishopric member's mouth.

I'm probably too embarrassed to even go through all the thoughts and emotions that I was feeling.  But I'm sure you can imagine without me even saying them.  The bottom line is I feel like there are two camps of girls.  One camp that is filled with girls that love babies, flock to babies, dream of babies, and live for babies.  And then there is the outcasts, the misfits those of us that wish kids came out around the age of 5.

I won't even go into the nasty details of my sulking.  (Just imagine the tantrum a two year old would throw when his mommy won't buy him candy bar in line at the grocery store) And it wasn't until I was sitting in church reading Corrie tin Boom's stories that it hit me.  As I read her stories I got excited!  I wanted to do missionary work!  I wanted to travel the world and preach the Gospel!  I wanted to be the next tramp for the Lord!  But heaven for bid if He asks me to babysit 10 two year olds for 2 hours a week....

But as Corrie would say,"Well it must be for some reason, nothing happens by chance to a child of God."


4 comments:

goddessdivine said...

Oh man, that's a dreaded calling for me as well. I adore my nieces and nephews and jump at the chance to be around them, but have a hard time beyond that. You guys will be great.

(And those kiddos look so cute all lined up on that little bench.)

Amanda Volk said...

I love reading your blog. You're such a great writer! And, this pic of the nursery kids is darling. Congrats on the calling! Seriously, I'm amazed at what nursery leaders do each Sunday. They don't just ask anyone to do this - it's only the best of the best! :)

Jeremy and Annisha and family said...

I love Corrie ten Boom! And words cannot express how grateful I am for the Lord's tramps that are willing to take my two 19-month-olds for two hours every week. I think they gain so much from the nursery experience. Enjoy having a calling with Jason. Someday soon he'll be sitting on the stand during church. Good luck!

Kennan said...

That's the first calling I got right after getting married too! haha Except I got put in there by myself, so count yourself lucky that you get to do it with Jason. :) Corrie ten Boom is my fav, love The Hiding Place!