Friday, June 21, 2013

Betty Crocker Award

My mom will probably be embarrassed that I am telling you all this, but when she was in high school she won her high schools cooking competition making her Miss Betty Crocker.  Now the intimidating part of this story is she won for making a pie!  So my whole life, although she'll be very modest about this, my mom has made the perfect pie crusts.  So you can imagine my disappointment when I've tried to make pies with her and my pies have never came close to hers!

Jason loves pie... so much that he's wanted to go eat and Village Inn (gross) just to get the free pie on Wednesdays.  So he keeps wanting to make a pie.  Of course he has no idea the tools necessary, the work involved to making a pie.  I've already boughten the rolling pie, 3 pie dishes... now I just have to get the pastry cutter and the pastry clothes and we are in business!

Every time I see my aunt Raine make pies her crust looks easy! workable! beautiful!  So yesterday I begged her to show me how she makes her million dollar apple pie.

I wish I had pictures of the whole thing, but sadly I'll just have to explain.

First the crust:

This recipe is really called Million Dollar Pie Crust.  (My mom uses the same recipe)
5 C flour
2 C Shortening (Raine always uses the butter flavor but my mom doesn't)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 egg
a little more than a T of apple cider vinegar (Raine has it in the fridge so it's cold)

Put the egg and vinegar in a liquid measuring cup and mix it together.  Then add enough cold water to the mixture for it to equal a little more than a cup.

Cut the shortening into the flour/salt/sugar mixture.  This is where my mom and Raine differienate again.  Raine just cuts it in enough that the shortening is in pea size balls where as when I've watched my mom or Craig (because he loves pie so my mom makes him cut in the shortening) they cut in the shortening for what seems like forever.

The pouring in of the liquid seems like the most delicate tricky part.  Raine pours a line in the dry pea sized balls mixture then pushes the wet mixture over to pour another line in the dry mixture.  It was a bit of a process to get all of the mixture wet but not too wet.  We had at least a 1/4 c of the wet mixture left when Raine had determined it was wet enough.  (Rocket Science)  (No wonder I've never made pies)

Anyway, here is another part my mom and Raine are different.  My mom always refrigerates the dough for an hourish where Raine goes straight to work.  The less you handle the crust the better.

Oh here is Raine's apple filling for 2 apple pies
12-14 (We used 12) Golden Delicious Apples
1 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C White Sugar
1/3 C flour
2 tsp cinnamon
dash of salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 400. Put apple mixture in then dot with butter.  Put tin foil on the edges to prevent from burning and bake for 55 minutes.  Remove foil paint egg white and water mixture on crust and cook for 5-10 more minutes.








I can feel it.  I have Betty Crocker genes in my somewhere. :)

1 comment:

Natalie said...

your face in that picture cracks me up. look at that focus!