Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Maybe I am an introvert?

Well... Maybe I feel like I have to confess to someone and that's why I am going to blog this story... Or who knows... Maybe someone could use this?

So after school while I was out watering my herb and tomato garden my neighbor upstairs, a cute girl with two little redhead  girls, asked me if I knew about the Relief Society activity that night. I said no and asked what time with full intentions on attending. She said it was on organizing your life. (Kinda a boring subject in my opinion.) so I decided to show up a half hour late hoping to miss most of the lesson. 

So I walked into the church, saw the cultural hall doors open, saw banquet tables of a buffet of food, and saw a gym full of Relief Society sisters....

It was then that I realized I didn't know a single person there! I totally panicked. So what did I do? I turned right around and left. I went to Bed Bath and Beyond to wander around looking at cooking utensils.... Pathetic. Humiliating. Who doesn't dare to go to a church activity?!?

I've been trying to sort out in my head what in the world happened ever since!!! I am a perfectly social able, confident, friendly person. What in the world happened to me?  Why did I get so scared I ran out of that church like a dog with his tail between his legs?   It was as I was looking at the pizza stones and paddles that I realized something. I have been in a singles ward for the past 12 years. Twelve. That means I have been in a singles ward for more years as a member of the church than a family ward.  Clearly nothing to brag about but when it comes to singles wards I can do it my sleep. The new semester meet and greet, the Munch and Mingle, the Linger Longer, the Break the Fast, or the weekly Ward Prayers and FHEs. 

But this family ward business... Well tonight clearly shows how armature I am. So instead I bought myself a kitchen tool to make myself feel better and I'll spend the rest of my evening watching My Fair Lady by myself. Who needs friends anyway, right?

5 comments:

Natalie said...

there's this weird transition period in a family ward where you don't have kids and it's just you and the hubs. or am i the only one that is feeling like they just don't fit in yet?

Caralee said...

You are not alone...My first RS activity in a family ward after getting married, I drove by the house 3 times before I worked up the guts to go inside. :) They were all sitting in the front room & I was busted! I've had to get a little better at it since we have moved around so much with the military.

Camile said...

I bet it is a little weird to go from a singles ward to a regular family ward. I was able to ease into it by being in a married student ward for a few years where half of the girls are married without kids. Then when we were finally in a regular family ward I had kids which makes the transition so much easier and gives you a really quick connection and common-ground with the other moms in your ward.

But, you're such a great conversationalist and so well-rounded that you'll have good friends in no time and be able to look back on this incident and laugh.

(Good luck making it to the next one. :))

Jen and Jake Boyer said...

hmm sounds a little like Jason..looks like he's rubbing off on you, lol... but thats supposed to happen in a marriage so its a good thing. I was all about doing the activities in the singles ward. Its been 5 years now in the family ward, and i still have a tail between my legs sometimes, HA! So i get it.. Too bad we're not in the same ward (or state)..id go with you and we can sit in the corner by ourselves and "People watch".

Jen and Jake Boyer said...

hmm sounds a little like Jason..looks like he's rubbing off on you, lol... but thats supposed to happen in a marriage so its a good thing. I was all about doing the activities in the singles ward. Its been 5 years now in the family ward, and i still have a tail between my legs sometimes, HA! So i get it.. Too bad we're not in the same ward (or state)..id go with you and we can sit in the corner by ourselves and "People watch".