Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Tea Party


It was depressing… years ago when I realized all of my family would live in different places when I got married.  With most of the rest of them we all lived in or around Rexburg so we could all attend the shower.  It was then and there I told Aunt Raine I wanted to have my shower the night before my wedding.  That way everyone would be there.
Being around so many weddings over the years something that I was always bummed about was how little time the bride or groom gets to spend with people that traveled so far for the wedding.  Looking at all the weddings I’ve attended, the most memorable special moments have always been before the wedding.  I wanted to make sure that I got to spend those special moments with those people I love. 
This made the shower even more perfect!  It was just girls… girls that I love!  Without their kids, without their husbands, just girls I love.  We ate, we laughed, and some of us cried.  It might have been the most special moment with the guests of the whole weekend.

The Food…….. I know you won’t believe me, but every single bite was to die for.  (Hopefully I’ll get pictures soon)

The Menu:
Strawberry Spinach Salad with poppy seed dressing and roasted almonds.
Croissants filled with the most delicious chicken apple salad you’ve ever tasted.
Cucumber Sandwiches with Cream Cheese on Homemade Whole Wheat Bread
Orange Cranberry Scones with Lemon Cured and Bavarian Cream to dip
Poppyseed Cake
Shortbread Cookies that melted in your mouth
Raspberry Zinger Tea
Chocolate Mouse Cups with raspberries 
AND of course as an extra kicker….
Chocolate Tuxedo Cups filled with Strawberries

The Laughs:
As I opened each gift, the giver had to either give me advice or ask me a question about Jason.  Questions ranged from how we met to when was the first time I heard him pass gas…. Which when I answered I begged the girls to never repeat…. Which probably would have happened except Uncle Nils knew… and he made sure EVERYONE knew J 
The advice ranged from funny to serious but of course the most classic piece of Parson advice had to be said at least once, “If you are going to fight, make sure you fight naked.”
We Cried:
I looked around the room and saw these girls.  40 girls that have known me through the good the bad and the ugly.  I tried to thank them.  I did.  I tried.  But sometimes words just don’t cut it. 
It was so special.  It was special because of the history of the group but also because of the new comers.  Jason’s mom and sisters came.  I loved having them get to experience such a wonderful experience with me because never before and probably never again will that large of a group of Parson women get together and bond.  

I’m just so grateful that I got to be a part of it.

No comments: