Friday, November 2, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wall Flower.

In another life I'd love to give surveys.  Just sit at a place like Disneyland, or a Jazz game, or the Mall in D.C. and just ask people questions.  I guess really that's what drove me to study the social sciences... I love knowing and understanding people, groups of people and individuals.  Everywhere I go I think about people and wonder, where they are from, what is their background, what kind of education they have, what's their worldviews....  You know, I just wonder.  I recognize it's weird.  Who cares so much about random people, but for some reason I do.  It was a relief when I finally discovered my personality and read this statement, "And at amusement parks or sporting events, Idealists will eventually separate themselves mentally from the rides, the sights, and the action, and begin to observe the people around them, wondering about their personalities and fantasizing about their personal lives."

It's so interesting to me how many people view themselves as a wall flower, a misfit toy, an outcast.  Whole genres of music are dedicated to this way of thinking.  I might even argue that more people view themselves on the outside than in any type of inside.  And I think I can lead this irrational logic all back to the junior high lunch time... but I won't go there.

So I went to see this movie, The Perks of being a Wall Flower.  I was excited.  This is the type of movie that I love.  You know the movie where the high school misfits ban together and form a bond so powerful that they don't care if they get asked to prom or have a thousand signatures in their yearbook. The movie where a smart group of kids who have struggled to be popular or fit in finally realize that there is so much more to life than high school.  I can list a whole slew of movies or books that are dedicated to this quite obvious reality.

But if you haven't seen The Perks of being a Wall Flower and plan on seeing it, I won't ruin it.  I'll just say this.  Yes, the movie does fit into this category... kinda.  It's well on it's way to fit into this category until the end.  Then comes the rude awakening of life.  I feel like this is the type of movie that every teacher needs to watch.  The fact is, kids go through horrible stuff and often times this is what causes them to act the way they do, feel the way they do, be idiots the way they do.  And although this movie was pretty depressing, I think it's good every now and again for us to remember outward appearance rarely if ever tell the whole story.

2 comments:

The UnMighty said...

I completely agree on "the outward appearance not telling the whole story." My whole life I was judged by my appearance and people just assumed I was a strong, athletic, confident, underwear modeling lady killer. If only they knew the tenderness that was in my heart.

Haven't seen the movie yet. Thanks for not spoiling it.

theriddle said...

I read the book.