Friday, November 9, 2012

Let the Count Down Begin

It all probably started with the movie The Holiday.  The movie was like an anthem to my life the year it came out.... Christmas 2006?  The previous Christmas had been the most magical Christmas of my life, I thought I was going to marry the man of my dreams.  All I could think about was diamonds and babies and a life in.... Texas?  Clearly that fell to pieces, and oh thank heavens it did! But a year later there I was struggling through my first real year of teaching in a new city feeling completely alone.  And that is when I saw The Holiday (3 or 4 times in the theater) .... how well I could relate to  Kate Winslet when she was so desperate that she started sucking in natural gas from her stove thinking it would do something until she snapped out of it and opened the window crying, "Low point!"  It was then that through a stream of good fortune Kate ended up in Santa Monica for Christmas.  Driving down the PCH in a convertible with the top down listening to Bing Crosby dreaming of a white Christmas.  Her life changed.

I think it was that.  Or maybe it was the Christmas of 2009 when the stars aligned for some reason and Christmas in LA was wonderful...

All I know is, for me, when I think of Christmas, I don't think of sleigh bells and hot chocolate.  No snow men or winter wonderland.... all I can think of is palm trees and sunshine.  I cannot believe how excited I am about the holidays this year.  I'm counting down the days until Thanksgiving.  I can't even dream about Christmas yet.  But the best news is...

my Holidays will look a lot like this.

(This picture is actually from South Beach Miami last year.... but you get the idea)

2 comments:

The UnMighty said...

You know what they say about the Santa Ana's. When they blow, all bets are off.

The UnMighty said...

I've also heard it said that when they blow, you could get some debris in your eye that will lead to a ridiculously cheesy, romantic moment with Jack Black.