Thursday, August 30, 2012

Some might call it an addiction.

The thought of spending the glorious Labor Day weekend in Utah Valley might sound fun for some.... but last night I could not sleep thinking about it!  Dreams of 82 degree beach days.... Salmon Sunday dinners.... and most important the annual Labor Day Weekend Barker Karaoke Extravaganza!

It's ridiculous.  Seriously ridiculous.  I mean it's just one three day weekend.  It's okay to not have anything to do...especially because I am going to San Diego next weekend.... and I was there last weekend.... yes... I might need a patch for this addiction.

So this morning I looked online realizing that it is a day before Friday, yes I think we call it Thursday.  But I realized that the prices for a plane ticket the day before... especially on a 3 day weekend... probably going to be ridiculous.  BUT just last weekend I got a $400 credit because my flight was overbooked so I stayed in John Wayne airport an extra 2 hours.  Yes that was the best 2 hours I've spent in a long time.  (I've already spent the credit on two other flights....) but I felt justified in buying a plane ticket this weekend if the price was decent....especially because I can bum a ride home on Monday with Myra and Kenneth.

You can imagine my excitement when I found a flight for $121.  So where am I going this weekend.  You better believe it.




Since I've become the expert on flying from Southern California to Salt Lake over the last year.... I figure I'll tell ya everything I know: (Caution if you don't fly to southern California stop reading now.)  For me and the places that I visit in Southern California there really isn't a good airport.  I feel like every airport is going to take me about 45 minutes to get to where ever I am going.  So here is my thoughts on each airport:

Long Beach:
Hands down my favorite airport.  Probably because I feel like I am traveling back in time to the 1950's in LA.  I love this airport for two reasons: Jet Blue and never any wait time.  I feel perfectly comfortable getting to this airport 15 minutes before we board.  Jet Blue typically has the cheapest direct flights to LA area through Long Beach.  But Delta sometimes beats Jet Blue's price.  I usually pay around $200 to fly into Long Beach.  I have been lucky enough to get round trip for $100 before.  

John Wayne:  
This might be my new favorite airport.  It is super duper nice and still very small... and 15 miles from Disneyland.  Delta has a direct flight to John Wayne that sometimes is the same price or close to the price of flying into Long Beach on Jet Blue. ($200)  But I have now found that Southwest has decent price tickets to John Wayne...downside.... layovers in Las Vegas, Phoenix, or Oakland.  So a 2 hour trip becomes a 3:30 to 5 hour trip.  But I can typically find prices around $200.  United also has decent prices but their layover are always at least 5 hours and I just don't think it's worth it.  

Ontario:
Closest airport to Glendora but always the most expensive AND typically a layover.   So sadly I rarely fly into Ontario.  But if I do fly into Ontario I fly Southwest.

Bob Hope: 
I love this airport when I am visiting the Glendale/Burbank/Pasadena area.  (AKA going to church with Lars)  Delta is a direct flight but always expensive and Southwest is always a layover.

LAX: I NEVER EVER EVER fly into LAX.  Two reasons: traffic.  It's a mess.  But the important reason it's always more expensive and I never understood why.  Until someone told me it costs the airlines more to land there.  Whether that is true or not I never even look at LAX.

Lastly, what has been so shocking to me is how inconsistent prices are.  I'll look at flights and sometimes book a flight in at one airport and a flight out at another airport on the same weekend.  But the bottom line is there truly is no place like southern California.
  

No comments: