Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Word to the Wise

Teaching is hard hard work.  If there is a teacher in your student's life that is doing a good job, please tell them.  Write them a little note.  You don't even have to give them anything.  Just let them know you appreciate them.  

Because the sad thing is, it takes 100 good comments for a teacher to get over 1 negative one.  I spent the day with absolutely fabulous teachers.... amazing, some of the best test scores in the state.  But they are considering quitting... they don't feel like it's worth it.  

This morning I got a note from a mom that ended with,  "Thank you for influencing my daughter so much.  Your school is lucky to have you."  I'm sure it didn't take her much time, but that card makes it worth it.... you spend so much time and energy as a teacher worrying about these dang kids.  You worry night and day that you aren't doing enough.  You wonder if anything sinks in... is all the time and energy you are putting in even making a difference???  So it's cards like this that let you know, you affected at least one.  At the end of the year cards like this almost make me put on rose colored glasses.... almost forget any difficult times throughout the year and only remember the good.  It makes me feel like I could do it again next year.  After I got this card I walked with an extra skip in my step for the rest of the day.



 (Maybe it's because I got paid to go to Lagoon....but who's counting! :) 

No comments: