Wednesday, May 23, 2012

"Old"

I am hit with it all the time... when I quote Mr. Belding and only get blank stares... when I'm asked what year 9/11 happened...  or my favorite, when I'm asked how we remembered peoples' telephone numbers before cell phones.

Today I reminded again.

My students are taking the "National Council for Geographic Education Competency-Based Geography Test".  I thought I would be kind and put on music while they are taking the test.  I figured my Pandora "Glee" station would be our best bet.  I didn't think anymore about it as we sat and took the test together. (I think I should take the test every year just to make sure I know what I am talking about.)  About half way through the period a sweet quiet little girl finally got the courage to say, "Miss Parson, can we please turn off the music?"  I was shocked and said, "Oh is it distracting you?"  Another, bolder student said, "No! This music is terrible!"  Shocked once again, I looked at what songs we had listened to.

Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Cheek to Cheek
Frank Sinatra - A Wink and a Smile
My Fair Lady - I Could have Danced All Night
Billie Holiday - Let's Do it, Let's fall in love

Everyone one of these songs I LOVE.  But I faintly remember how much I hated old Jazz music as a teenager.  How did that happen?  How did I go from a punk teen to an old jazz lovin' adult?  Next thing you know I will be liking brussel sprouts and canned beets.... nah.