Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Ever thought, "Maybe I should go on a trip with Kristin".... Think again.

So getting back to the Mainland was quite a trip..........  rather than take the time writing it out myself, here is my friend, Kristen's version of the story.... Enjoy!

I just got back from Hawaii.  Holy cow, what an adventure!  With the biggest one being this morning.  It involved running and law-breaking and craziness.

For some reason we got up at 4:30 (instead of 3:30) to catch our flight that left at 6:05 AM.  We were stupidly thinking we had an extra hour or something.  We left the house at 4:45 and were on our way to the Honolulu airport.  And then it dawned on us that we were supposed to have left an hour earlier. INSERT (We were staying on North Shore... it takes 1:10 on my gps to get from Laie to the Honolulu airport) Because not only did we have a flight to catch--after going through security--but we had to drop off the rental car beforehand.  And that's of course after filling up the gas tank at a gas station within 10 miles of the rental place.  (Specific orders from said rental place.)

Forget the lame 35 mph speed limits in Hawaii!!  We had to start hauling you know what.  I got on the phone trying to talk to the incomprehensible Hawaiian Airlines chic to see what other flights were available.  My friend was using her iphone to navigate and assess traffic.  After making a wrong turn we decided to do what we did for a lot of the trip:  Me behind the wheel while my friend can solely concentrate on the iphone and use her excellent navigation skills to get us to the desired destination.  And what do you do when you're at a left-hand turn lane with a red light and you want to switch drivers?  The Chinese firedrill of course!  We buckled up and I flipped an illegal u-turn, and we were off!  I broke all sorts of speed limit laws, going 70 in 45 mph zones.....weaving in and out of traffic as needed.  Navigation may be her skills; driving like a maniac--albeit always safely--is mine.  (Did you know that the highest speed limit in this state is 55!?!?) 

We had a few minor setbacks with the GPS messing us up a time or two, but we found the car rental place.  Luckily there was a Chevron just beforehand.  My friend hopped out, gassed up, and I started pulling away before she even closed her door.  We pulled up and my friend hopped out again to flag down the shuttle about to leave for the airport.  I gave the key and gas receipt to the nice lady coming out of the building.

Me:  Are we good?

Lady:  Do you need a receipt?

Me (running to get on the shuttle):  Nope!

Lady:  Same credit card?

Me:  Yep.  Thank You!!

I seriously hope there's no extra charges from this car rental.  I have no idea.  She must have thought we were crazy.  Wait; we are!!

Oh but it gets better. 

The nice shuttle driver drops us off first.  I didn't even have any time to tip him (I was also completely out of cash).  We at least did one thing right printing our boarding passes the night before.  And only taking carry-ons.  While on the shuttle we got our flight info and licenses out and ready.  We ran to security, stripping off anything with metal and throwing it in the bins, and ripping off our shoes.  My friend went through first and as soon as she had her stuff together she took off toward the gate.  I was about a football field behind, running with all my baggage PLUS my shoes, belt, and fluids in hand.  I couldn't waste 10 seconds to put the shoes back on.  So I started booking it.  No shoes, mind you.  (Next time you see people running to catch a flight, don't judge them to harshly.)  And of course our gate was freaking far away.  So by the time I reach it and start shoving all my flight info at the guy, he just kind of shook his head and motioned for me to board the plane.  Luckily my friend had reached it seconds before me and told him I was coming.  I kid you not, we were within seconds.....SECONDS of losing our seats to standby passengers (who I'm sure were sorely disappointed that we showed up).   Our flight left not even 10 minutes later.

Dude.  DUDE.  I still can't believe we made it.  Really.  Closest call ever in the history of flying.

1 comment:

Lynette said...

Great post...I chuckled through it learning more of the details...I had a nightmare about it after you told me.