Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Envy

"Don't waste your time on jealousy.  Sometimes your ahead, sometimes your behind.  The race is long and in the end it's only with yourself."

I know I quote this stupid graduation speech too much, (if you still have no idea what speech I am talking about, do yourself a favor and listen to it here) but when Elder Holland gave his speech on Saturday afternoon I couldn't help but think about that quote over and over again. It was a beautiful talk.  I loved every word.  If you missed it, you can find it here.

One of my favorite quotes is:

"When good fortune comes to another person we are not diminished when someone else is out of the pond.  We are not in a race against each other to see who's the wealthiest or the most talented or the most beautiful or even the most blessed.  The race we are really in is the race against sin and surely envy is one of the most universal of those."

But it wasn't until I read Reagan's most recent blogpost that I remembered how true it really is... Those of you that don't know Reagan she grew up in Cedar although I am not going to claim that she was my friend... she might have even come after me with a baseball bat... but that's another story.  Anyway for the past few years I have been reading her blog, jealous of her glamorous life as a hair dresser in her Upper Eastside New York apartment with a dreamy lawyer husband.  Sure, I saw she had trials, we all have trials, but today I remembered... the race is long and in the end it's only with yourself.

1 comment:

Camile said...

I loved this talk too. It speaks to everyone. I think this is a universal sin - wanting what someone else has. It's something I've always struggled with.

The thing is Kristin, I'm sure people envy you too (Europe, Disney land, influential teacher, friend to all ... etc.)!