Thursday, April 19, 2012

Dear High School Girl.

I know right now it seems like a big deal... a huge deal... possibly the biggest deal ever to not get asked to prom or not make the dance team... it breaks my heart to see you suffer... and I wish that you could see what I see now.  In 10 years it won't matter.  In 10 years you might even be able to laugh about it.  In 10 years you might have even forgotten.  In 10 years you might even consider it a blessing.

I am not trying to tell you that things in high school don't matter, I am not trying to down play this time of life.  But in 10 years the thing that is going to matter most are the decisions that you are making every day.  In 10 years it will matter where your priorities were.  In 10 years it will matter what your standards were.   Because as scary as it is, right now is the time you choose your future.  Dream big. Have fun. And keep your standards high because in 10 years, that is what will have affected your life.

Today as I was recording the scores at a track meet, with the sun shinning down, listening to girls giggle as they pointed to the "hot" older guy walking by in his baseball uniform, it made me nostalgic for high school.  I've talked about this before, but the more I observe high school the more grateful I am for the friends I had at that vulnerable stage of life.  So high school friends out there.  Thank you.  Thank you for your support.  Thank you for your example.  Thank you for your high standards.

But don't worry high school girl.  I get it.  It doesn't matter how many times someone older than you tells you it isn't a big deal... I get it.  Right now, that date, that boy, that team.... is the most important things in your world.  So why do I give you this advice?  Because like the Sunscreen song says, "Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of 
fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth."

3 comments:

Matthew and Lindsey said...

one of your most beautiful posts ever. Serious.

Stephani said...

Awesome and so true :) Love the sunscreen song - and love you too!! Thanks for your example in High School.

Camile said...

amen