Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Response

I've been thinking about Juliana's question all day.  In other words, "How do you embrace and shape the future?  Love it, rejoice in it, and delight in it"

I've been thinking about it all day because clearly the easy answer that is all so often shoved down our throats at us in our desperate cries like Juliana did is "You choose it."  It reminds me of this book I used to read to my students called The Traveler's Gift.  The book goes through 7 decisions of success and each decision is taught through a historical story.  The 5th decision is, "I will choose to be happy" and it was taught by Anne Frank as she sat in the attic waiting for the Nazi's to find her family.  I remember the reaction of one particular student as we read this chapter.  She was a darling sweet genius girl so I was quite surprised when she rolled her eyes at this beautiful passage.  So I am hesitant to answer the question above because typically these questions have easy answers that we don't want to hear.

So thinking of Juliana's question... how?  I think that is a huge part of the test of this life... how.  It's different for everyone.  So I can only tell you what has worked for me.  I have tried unsuccessfully many different methods to embrace, shape, love, rejoice, and delight in the future.  Those long time readers of this blog have witnessed a lot of that discovery.  But what brings me joy and hope for the future comes down to one thing.  People.  So for me, to delight in the future, I have to go out of my way to make sure I am surrounding myself with the people that bring me that hope.  And the wonderful thing is I believe that my relationship with these people will not end anytime soon... I get to be with them forever.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Yes I remember that day...I would have hoped that you had forgotten it by now...lol.

But yes, I am totally with you. The more I live the more I realize that our relationships define us and are the chief factor in our happiness. Wise counsel.

Natalie said...

what a good looking family!

jeanine said...

We are a good looking family! But, I like our pict from last year better! :)

Juliana said...

Hey Kristin,

I feel I should apologise - I didn't mean for my comment to cause any controversy!

Just to put my comment in context - I am a happy person and I love my life - but generally, I worry about my future. I really struggle with having trust and faith in God, so as to not just face the future stoically, but to embrace, shape and love it. I worry that by doing so it will be like putting on a brave/happy face at Christmas dinner and getting stuck all night talking to boring Uncle Al that everyone tries to avoid (there's one in every family!). As you put on the brave/happy/polite face, everyone assumes you really enjoyed yourself and they stick you next to Uncle Al every time!

Just separately - I love your blog and have been reading for about a year. I love your joy de vire!

Juliana said...

Hey Kristin,
I'm not sure if you'll read this 'late' comment but I wanted to let you know I bought the book you recommended above. I'm really enjoying it, and wanted to say thanks. Have a great holiday in Hawaii!